Wsbk - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Wsbk

motorcycle racing's back.

BMW had 4(?) bikes in the field at Phillip island and had a strong showing in race 1 at least. Haven't watch race 2 yet.

Riding season must be right around the corner...

Reminds me I want to check out trackday schedules.

Anyone want to do a trackday at Road America this year? I hear the front straight is almost a mile long.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2011, 4:10 pm
Enthusiast

I was impressed by Haslam in the first race (I shall refrain for issuing spoilers on the second) as well as BMWs overall showing. And yes it was fun to see racing back - I had several Moto2 races from last year on the DVR that I used to help get me through the coldest part of the winter.

The weather down here has been unseasonably warm with the last two weekends getting up into the low 70's (sry to rub it in JCW) and it has been fun riding without being suited up like Kenny from South Park. I've already registered for the California Superbike School two day camp in May and if my new leathers are finished in time I am thinking about a track day at Summit Point on 4/1.

Yes I believe spring fever has sprung in my garage.

BTW...What's your prediction for the best showing from the Rossi/Stoner/Spies version of musical motorcycles?

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:03 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warregl
BTW...What's your prediction for the best showing from the Rossi/Stoner/Spies version of musical motorcycles?
Honestly I don't follow it close enough to form an intelligent opinion.

But Stoner at times looks TRULY unbeatable, putting the bike on the razors edge and past it repeatedly. (Remember the pics/vid of him sliding the rear of the bike lap after lap at the last motogp race, i think?)

I'm rooting for Rossi kinda like the way I rooted for MIchael Jordan.

I'm not a huge fan of Spies, but he's the home team playing in world stage so I HAVE to root for him. However, if he does REALLY well, I keep wondering what Mladin could have done.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2011, 1:23 pm
Enthusiast

I'm with you on Stoner. To my admittedly untrained eye, he looked like he could have had a monster year if he could have just sorted out the Desmo last season. I have a feeling that if he clicks with that Honda he is going to be very impressive.

It would be cool to see Rossi, who is known for being able to sort out a bike, get the Desmo straight and be able to do that thing he does come race day. Just another reason to consider him one of the best of all time.

And if Spies continues to improve at the rate he showed last year he could be amazing as well (but my guess would be he needs another year to hit full stride).

In short, all three have positioned themselves to do amazing things and if they start clicking at the same time this could be a great year to be a fan.

I'm by no means going to say any of that is an intelligent opinion , but I'm having fun speculating and I cant wait to see how it unfolds.

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:04 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

I wonder if the couple crashes Spies had last year or the BIG brash Rossi had will affect(sp?) them this year?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2011, 6:24 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
I wonder if the couple crashes Spies had last year or the BIG brash Rossi had will affect(sp?) them this year?
I wondered about Rossi too but the way he fought back (esp. the battle with Lorenzo at Motegi) seemed to say he was back and still dangerous. From what I read, his high side was caused when he let the tire cool off too much during the practice round and then got back on it too hard. That strikes me as a loss of concentration or focus which could lead one to think it might be time to hang up the racing leathers. But the way he came back and finished the season I think the accident actually motivated him. Add that to the chance to take another team to the championship...I don't know if he can but I wouldn't bet against him!

As for Spies, he strikes me as very analytical (which comes of a aloof). I got the feeling that his lack of experience on some of those tracks might have been what kept him out of the elite company of the Aliens. I have a feeling that he will have a good year, maybe great but that next year could be epic for him. Just a feeling.

And of course all of this is based on my epic lack of knowledge and excess of opinion. But then again isn't that what being a fan is about?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2011, 1:07 am Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

I was actually physically amped up at the start of the MotoGP race today. Is that wrong???

No spoilers but I found myself...

Liking Stoner more than previous years,
Rooting of Spies more than previous years,
Hoping Rossi keeps up the pace,
Impressed by the Hondas.

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode