Tyres odd? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2011, 2:09 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Tyres odd?

My pal rode around the back of the house and parked his bike next to mine and got himself a beer, having shares in my bar fridge. We have identical bikes ceptin for colour, he has a shitty dark blue. We both buy Continental Road Attacks from the same place. As I was gnawing on a cold one I remarked that his front tyre was on back the front. (first made sure it was not mine at fault) He inspected the tyre and remarked that the arrow was pointing in the way he was going. Two identical tyres, treads in opposing directions????? It was our first beer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Well now. Either one of you gets a new set of tires, or Conti has to admit that it makes no difference. If nothing from Conti, they are in a deep well if someone wreaks. My son just got a set of Contis he might better check this out!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Veteran

First beer, and first joint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Enthusiast

First beer

Probably Darwin stubbies.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2011, 5:12 am
Veteran

Its a normal mind altering situation...Conti switched their rotation direction ( casing or tread cant remember) I think there were 2 arrows one for the casing and one for the tread. Because of better wear and performance back a few years ago they switched direction. There is or was some molds that didn't change the arrow direction when the decision was made ..one of you has an old tire on their bike or its a new tire using a unchanged mold....you should check the date code and get it changed out if in fact it is that old...the direction of rotation (tread arrows) is for performance and wear...nothing to do with safety...but have to question if rain water is still being pumped away for the rear in either direction check your tire to see if you have 2 sets of arrows the tread section should have "very small" arrows molded on the edge of the tread section. Confused yet?...I would have Conti send you better info..I confused myself just thinking about it ..now I have the munchies!

Last edited by BAK04GT; Mar 12th, 2011 at 5:44 am.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2011, 2:13 pm
Addict

Over here they do regard tire manufacturer direction of rotation as a safety issue. Your bike will fail it's annual inspection if they are wrong, and insurance may take issue if you have an accident. If the tread pattern works better with the correct rotation direction, then you leave yourself open to a lot of legal difficulty, should you have an accident.

If there's some theory about a molding error, then that's like saying the manufacturer screwed up, the tire is made to be used in one direction and the tires should have been recalled.

I'm no tire expert but I think there are 2 reasons for these arrows. The first relates to the tread pattern and possibly how it can push water away, the second relates to the way the cords were laid in manufacture. Roll the tire the wrong way and the cords will heat up more. If the tire use is agressive, cords can separate causing blistering. Our tires are high speed spec. rated to over 150mph and carry a lot of weight, so I'd rather not take chances.

Sorry, but I have to disagree that direction arrows have no safety implication.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2011, 3:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Over here they do regard tire manufacturer direction of rotation as a safety issue. Your bike will fail it's annual inspection if they are wrong, and insurance may take issue if you have an accident. If the tread pattern works better with the correct rotation direction, then you leave yourself open to a lot of legal difficulty, should you have an accident.

If there's some theory about a molding error, then that's like saying the manufacturer screwed up, the tire is made to be used in one direction and the tires should have been recalled.

I'm no tire expert but I think there are 2 reasons for these arrows. The first relates to the tread pattern and possibly how it can push water away, the second relates to the way the cords were laid in manufacture. Roll the tire the wrong way and the cords will heat up more. If the tire use is agressive, cords can separate causing blistering. Our tires are high speed spec. rated to over 150mph and carry a lot of weight, so I'd rather not take chances.

Sorry, but I have to disagree that direction arrows have no safety implication.
The arrow on the casing and the other arrow on the tread section are suspect if the tread pattern makes no difference in safety (water shed) then there is no issue and is at discretion of the manufacture.... now on some motorcycle tires there are two arrows (on the casing) one arrow direction is for using it on the rear for torque force and the other direction arrow for use on the front because of braking force. to say that an arrow automatically indicates direction because of cord construction (old bias ply tires) as noted above is not always the reason but rather what the manufacture determines gives the best wear and or performance if no other factors are found unsafe such as actual tire wear pattern causing bad handling and if ever taken off and placed back on the mechanic knew what direction it was mounted on so not to cause bad performance due to fighting the wear pattern . My guess is that these tires that the OP mentioned being apposed to each other is because one of them got a tire that was made after or before they decided that the tread section actually performed better in the other direction. Other words the tread arrows are going in opposite direction of the casing arrow in this case because some arrows for the tread section in the molds were not changed.The BIG arrow on the sidewall (casing) is only there for reference to which way to lay on the tread design and to make sure that it is mounted so the tread is facing the direction that the manufacture found to be best not because of internal tire construction of "todays" Z rated radial tires

Last edited by BAK04GT; Mar 12th, 2011 at 9:53 pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2011, 1:32 pm
Looking for better limits...

Y'all gonna have to give Papi some slack here. They noticed it during the first beer. Nothing at all says when he posted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2011, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

must mean mine is on arse up

Mr. Randall,
First of all and foremost, there is no danger here concerning the tread
pattern direction.

Secondly, the picture you have sent me shows that you have the correct
actual tread pattern direction, where the peak of the Conti signature arc
is the last to make contact with the road during rotation (if you
understand what I mean). To answer your question, there was a change in
the past, purely for aesthetic reasons.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for choosing Continental!

(guess this means Bak was on the right bus after all)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode