Bike Cover - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

Bike Cover

I just sold my car so I'll be bike-only for a couple weeks. I'm looking for a simple half-cover so I can put it on while the bike is still hot. Just looking to keep the rain off for the next few weeks when I park at the office.

Any thoughts on these? http://www.gezagear.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:03 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook
I just sold my car so I'll be bike-only for a couple weeks. I'm looking for a simple half-cover so I can put it on while the bike is still hot. Just looking to keep the rain off for the next few weeks when I park at the office.

Any thoughts on these? http://www.gezagear.com/
Don't buy a Geza cover to keep the rain off. I have one. They absorb water. They soak it up. Geza covers look and feel great to use in dry weather, but are not fun when it is wet out. Many a time I have had to stuff my wet Geza cover into its tight stuff sack. You must remember to dry it out later, to avoid mildew.

When I owned the Honda Magna, I used The Traveller, from http://www.eztouring.com. I put it on every weekday, where it sat baking in the Southern California sun, and occasional rain. The Magna seat and gauges looked new when I sold it after 21 years.

The first Traveller wore out after a dozen years of near daily use. I bought another one, which was still looking good when I sold the bike after 21 years. It is important to apply the recommended anti-UV spray every few years or so. The spray also improves the waterproofing.

The EZ Touring covers are hand-made by little old ladies in Bend, Oregon. No kidding.

-------

Addendum:

Here are some additional comments about the Geza cover. I have a Geza Elite (XL) cover for a 2007 K1200GT. Perhaps a different Geza cover would have different water repellency and/or absorption characteristics. Each model of Geza cover is made with a different fabric.

My Elite XL fits over the side cases and 49 liter top case. I like its weight and feel - soft and stretchy, but very strong. It should last a lifetime. The cover comes with a cylindrical stuff sack. It measures 12 inches long by 5 inches in diameter. The top half of the stuff sack is a heavy-duty mesh. If the cover is wet, then I strap the stuffed wet cover on the pillion so it can dry as I ride. I don't want the wet cover in one of the water-tight BMW cases with my clothes, food, tools, etc.

I wrote to Geza a couple years ago to ask about the water absorption problem. Here is their response:

Quote:
Your cover is made to absorb early morning dew/condensation. It has a wicking effect. Water-proofing will trap condensation/dew under the cover and leave your bike wet as well as the inside surface of the motorcycle cover.

Geza Covers draw moisture inside the fabric so there is no wetness (droplets of water) dripping onto your bike. Once the moisture is wick'd into the fabric, evaporation then will take place and the cover will release the moisture into the atmosphere while keeping your bike dry.

The cover is designed to absorb moisture similar to a sponge and keep your bike dry from early morning condensation.

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:26 am.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the thorough response. I think the E-Z Touring cover will better suit me. Going to give them a call and find out which will work with the K12GT and top case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode