Recommended Job Times - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:16 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Recommended Job Times

Where online can I find BMW M/C recommended 'hourly job' shop times; ie.; clutch replacement, transmission tear down and rebuild, timing chain replacement, valve check and/or adjustment,etc...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:51 am

I may be wrong but I think you'll find the answer to the timing chain in one of your owner's manuals, along with valve check/adjustment and rear axle lube. As far as the other concerns go, I don't think there are recommend changing/overhaul times. I've seen some mighty high mileage K bikes that are still running their OEM clutch and the transmission has never been touched, other than lube changes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Recommended Job Times

Thanx..but I'm referr'n to how long (time)should a dealer(shop) take to do a particular job;ie.; replace a clutch for an example. These I refer to as 'Job Time'. I know on the car side there are referrences to which a particular 'job' by a dealer should take. Where on line can I find such referrences for the M/C side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 2:22 pm
HUD

I'm not sure the flat rate for all the service and repair is readily available. Your local dealer would probably share that info if you only wanted a few items. Otherwise try bribing the service manager.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 6:59 am
Addict

What you are really asking for is a published list of fixed prices for service operations starting with routine service - like you get for cages. That way if the service tech is a bit slower in training on your bike or the business runs inefficiently with high overhead costs -you aren't paying for it, they are out of their profits.

Time based charging alone, just leads to inconsistency and hides dealer inexperience or costs - until somebody starts posting a dealer database as to what is being charged for and what operation. Of course you have to ask for a breakdown of work and costs to be provided at the start, which some dealers avoid. I would always ask for faulty non warranty parts to be returned as well.

Then the cat's out of the bag and consumers start comparing/squeeking/ take their business elsewhere! Neutral non-manufacturer aligned internet sites are great places to feedback dealer charges and experiences. Charges/time/ operation carried out (except possibly diagnosis) are pretty free of individual opinion, whereas individual personal experience can be biased. People rarely give good positive feedback.

Trying to establish the true cost of ownership of something you buy is also an interesting 'skeleton' manufacturers will avoid as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode