TR: Springtime in the Arribida Natural Parque - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

TR: Springtime in the Arribida Natural Parque

well, Portugal isn't all sunny days and grilled sardines, we've actually had a pretty rainy winter, but when it does get sunny it can be beautiful. Got a nice clear day last week to take a little tour of the Arribida Natural Parque, a spine of a mountain on a bay just south of Lisbon.

since I haven't introduced myself outside of the "other" K-bike section, I got my '88 K100LT from a friend who had owned it in Scotland, but had gotten stranded on the wrong side of the pond from it for too long and needed someone to rescue 'er. I flew to Glasgow and spent a great couple of weeks riding across western Europe (UK>France>Spain>Portugal) and getting to know the bike. I've now had 'er for nearly two years and couldn't be happier.

first sighting of the mountain's spines (and no, that's not snow, its the white rock that forms the range)

Setubal across the bay

this is about as high as you can get on the southern end of Portugal... probably 400ft above sea level :-)

an abandoned artillery bunker on the cliffs above the bay provided a small place to get off the cliffside drive for a pic without being run down

found and old monastery circa 1600 and wandered through the grounds for a bit

it was a bit overgrown, but that was half the fun. plus I had the place to myself since few wanted to crawl thru the brush

then off to storm the castle on the far point of the parque on the way home!

a good start to hopefully a journey full summer!

===================
/1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler
/1960 BSA A10 Super Rocket (basket)
/1981 Suzi GS650
/1988 BMW K100LT (in Lisbon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode