moto gp jerez - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 9:15 am Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

moto gp jerez

WOW.

There were so many possible finishes. So many major off's. And crucial mistakes by nearly everyone except the top 3 finishers. And except stoner. Really too bad for him.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:51 am
I'm riding

I admired the race too.

did Rossi hit Stoner intentionally? what's your impression?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

To me, it looked like he went in too aggressive and lost the front end.

I think I read that after the race, he went to Stoner's pit and apologized.

What a race it would have been if he didn't take them both out.

Lorenzo, Stoner and Rossi fighting it out.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I admired the race too.

did Rossi hit Stoner intentionally? what's your impression?
According to motomatters.com, Stoner said he heard Rossi coming up on him and since he wasn't worried about being passed at that stage of the race he left the inside line open. Rossi said he got in there too hot and since Stoner had run a wide line he had to take the tighter line and lost the front.

Interestingly Stoner seems more upset about the corner workers apparently more interested in helping Rossi. His quote:

"It was a racing incident and there's not much we can do, what is more frustrating is the reaction of the stewards and their assistance for Valentino and not for me, it was unbelievable."

I did hate to see him out of the race because of it. JCW is right, what a finish that could have been!

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Enthusiast

Well, I'm a MotoGP addict and loved the race so much I watched it twice. Once early in the morning TiVO'd off the Speed Channel (horrible, truly pathetic coverage rife with commercials) and again in the afternoon where I enjoyed the superior BBC coverage (thanks to the greatness of file torrents).

Clearly Rossi was at fault and in no way trying to take out Stoner. With repeated viewings, he simply lost the front end - something that notoriously plagued Casey last year on the Ducati. Not sure if it was the known front tire folding problem or the weather that got Vale. All I know is the playing field was leveled due to the rain and until Rossi's getoff, he was quicker than all others by two seconds a lap. That's just incredible. From starting in twelfth position to so quickly making a move on the top three was a sight to see.

As far as the marshals or stewards coming to Rossi's aid and not Casey's, when the wreck first occurred Valentino was pinned under both bikes. Look at the coverage and you'll see an equal amount attending to both riders after Vale was freed. Again, it was a pisser that Stoner couldn't restart his Repsol Honda. Also, have a gander where Rossi finished the race after his getoff. Incredible he could come back so swiftly on a crashed Ducati with old rain tires that were effectively slicks at race end.

Thanks to the BBC coverage we saw Valentino rush in to Casey's paddock and profusely apologize. Stoner oddly asked how Rossi's injured shoulder was holding up, and then had the temerity to impart to the nine time World Champion that "Your ambition outweighed your talent." I too, like Stoner but thought that was a classless remark after Rossi went out of his way to apologize.

With the disaster in Japan the next race will be May 1st in Estoril, Portugal.

Last edited by dpancerz; Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:32 pm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Interesting the observation about the front end problems possibly carrying over from last year, but it was awful wet.

I thought stoner was overly critical of the stewards as well. They both were helped after the crash and it looked to me (I could be wrong) that Stoner stalled it again and they didn't rush to restart him.

If Stoner did say "Your ambition outweighed your talent" then he has not matured one bit from last year. Even if it was in jest.

To say that of one of the most decorated racers of any age is disrespectful and ignorant.

On another note, I was about going nuts when Spies, Edwards and Hayden were all looking to finish on or near the podium. Then I went nuts when Spies and Edwards crashed.

What a funny end to Edwards' race. I didn't see the crash but it almost looked like he had engine problems. He looked upright with just the front tire in the gravel trap.

MotoGP and F1 are on my always watch list on the DVR.

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Apr 4th, 2011 at 10:30 pm.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 3:43 am
I'm riding

but did anybody pay attention to Vale's right hand a moment prior the low-side?

it seemed that he closed a bit ( just a "stitch" ) gas....or is it my dream?

Edwards - the real disaster!! the final lap...!! engine problem and the podium gone..

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 5:38 am
I'm riding

could be of interest too:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user46692_pic47393_1301948750.gif
Views:	25
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	13051  

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 6:55 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
If Stoner did say "Your ambition outweighed your talent" then he has not matured one bit from last year. Even if it was in jest.

To say that of one of the most decorated racers of any age is disrespectful and ignorant.
I’m with you on this. While I didn’t get to see the apology (thanks to Speed’s abbreviated coverage), reading Casey’s comments I had two thoughts: first the one about Vale shoulder struck me as disingenuous to the point of sarcasm, and second the one about his ambition & talent made me think of Laguna Seca a few years ago, when Vale put that move on him at the Corkscrew. In short, while Rossi was clearly at fault here, it seems to me that maybe Casey’s comments were driven as much by jealousy as they were by anger. Maybe he took a bit too much pleasure finding human fault with one of the greatest riders of all time.

But then again these men are fierce competitors and if they could shake off the emotions of such an incident too easily they probably wouldn’t be where they are…I just want to think better of them than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW

On another note, I was about going nuts when Spies, Edwards and Hayden were all looking to finish on or near the podium. Then I went nuts when Spies and Edwards crashed.
I couldn’t stay in my chair (the dog thought I was losing my mind). Regardless of the fallout, the one thing I can say about this year’s Spanish GP, it was exciting, and after all, isn’t that why we watch?

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:14 am
Enthusiast

JCW,

Those were indeed Casey's exact words. Here's a snippet from the BBC web site:

But an ill-advised overtaking maneuver with 20 laps remaining put Stoner out of the race and the Australian told Rossi: "Your ambition outweighed your talent."

Stoner highlighted the role of the marshals, who helped Rossi remount his bike to join the action while Stoner was left to unsuccessfully attempt to restart his Honda on his own.

"With the accident, I heard Valentino arriving and I wasn't worried about anyone passing me at that point in the race so I gave him plenty of room," Stoner said.

"It was a racing incident and there's not much we can do. what is more frustrating is the reaction of the stewards and their assistance for Valentino and not for me, it was unbelievable."

Stoner later told autosport.com that the issue needed to be addressed even if he saw no point in going to the authorities himself.

"I'd like to see something done about it, not just for me but for other riders," he declared.

"I think it's completely unfair. There's not enough consistency in the marshalling all around the world. There's got to be consistency with everyone, not hampering someone's race just because of popularity."

"I don't go to the safety commission anymore," he added. "It's like knocking your head against a wall. Nothing happens."

I'm still a Stoner fan even with him jumping ship to Honda but these types of comments diminish his overall integrity within the sport. While Rossi is no saint, I don't think he'd ever make such blatant remarks. The most ridiculous thing to me is how Casey's poised to win another championship riding the clearly superior Repsol Honda this year. If I were the Honda team owner I'd tell him to shutup and just win races.

And yes, it was engine trouble that did in poor Colin Edwards and not a crash. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

I know everyone doesn't have access to the fabulous BBC coverage that goes above and beyond what is shown on Speed. In lieu of that, here are two informative web sites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...es/default.stm

http://www.motogp.com/

Bottom line, this was a helluva exciting race!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode