TomTom sorry for giving customer driving data to cops - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 8:59 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

TomTom sorry for giving customer driving data to cops

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...mer_data_flap/

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 9:43 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge K
That's nothing compared to:

Sony sorry for giving 77 million customer names, addresses, birthdates, usernames, passwords to a hacker or hackers, all in human readable form; not encrypted. It is also possible (likely?) that they got Sony's customers' credit card card numbers, names, and billing addresses, too:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...-and-qriocity/

(Search for Sony Playstation Network Hacked for lots more info.)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:35 am
Addict

You have to assume that any system that collects and stores data which is not under your own control can be compromised. Whatever the organisation says.

Security is all about what you do, not what you believe others can do or tell you.

After getting my credit cards compromised a couple of times, I now have a special account and card I use for purchasing. I transfer money in online before I buy something, and there is never a balance of more than 50 in the card account. The card doesn't even have my name on it.

I had a merchant once who tried to up the price on a web item. They called me to say my card was invalid. That's how I found out they were trying to take more than agreed.

PS: My TomTom is old on a PDA. Nothing goes out 'cos the PDA has no Blutooth or web!

So how were they getting the 'driver data' ? My guess is when you connect their devices to the net to do a software update, it sends as much out as you get back. You get the same thing with cable TV companies. Every time you change channel, they could be tracking your preferences to send you targetted ads or sell the data on. This phrase 'anonymized data' is a good one and laughable.

Even UK secret government organizations make big mistakes by publishing word docs on the web with secrets they think have been erased by changing the color of the font to white! And then there is Wikileaks and it won't be long before it's Facebook and others.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; May 3rd, 2011 at 11:45 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 3:40 pm
Veteran

data

Mobile phone data? Used to convict truck drivers who record false entries in their log books.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 7:11 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
...So how were they getting the 'driver data' ? My guess is when you connect their devices to the net to do a software update, it sends as much out as you get back. You get the same thing with cable TV companies. Every time you change channel, they could be tracking your preferences to send you targetted ads or sell the data on. This phrase 'anonymized data' is a good one and laughable. ...
TomTom sold the anonymized, aggregated data to the Dutch Police, who told them it would be used for "safety" reasons. No single person's data was used by the Dutch Police to target them for speeding. Instead, they used the overall data to figure out the best places to put their cameras to maximize their chances to catch speeders.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2011, 4:52 am
Addict

I caught up with that and got a bit more info because what puzzled me was how they got the personalised data back to anonymize.

Apparently it's part of their addon service to get live data on traffic jams into your car satnav. To work, they have to know about your journey and real time speeds and of course being a subscription service probably paid for by credit card, they can tag that data to you.

I'm taking their statement of 'anonymised' as the data started out as personalised, but they cleaned it up before selling it on and you have to trust them on that!

Nevertheless, if you are driving the same route every day, the anonymised data would be sufficient for you to be included in targeted speed enforcement at locations, which shift the odds a lot.

Thinking outside the box, it could also work in your favor if you had access to the same anonymised data, because you could then choose alternative routes that were not flagged up as enforcement hotspots.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode