R1100RT for my father in law? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 11:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

R1100RT for my father in law?

My Father in Law, age 46 is looking to replace his 1976 CB750k with something "a little more modern" so he says. I'd like to at least see him get something with EFI as I still dont think his carbs are right on his 750

He rides around town a fair amount, commuting to work and such but really enjoys getting out on the open road, and taking a few long trips a year 2up with his wife. His old honda has a vetter fairing with barn door, and he's added hard bags and a back rest so he's not going to want to replace it with anything that doesnt offer these amenities.

He's ridden my K1200RS, not enough to really get used to it, just tooled around town. He says it feels way too agressive in the ergo's, and it's more power than he needs. He was impressed, but it's not what he needs. On paper, the R1100RT makes sense to me for him, he's not wanting to spend alot of cash, it's easier to work on, more upright, reasonably priced, and even reasonably light.

What do you guys think? And could somebody pass on a few places to look for these used besides cl, ebay, cycletrader and the like?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Enthusiast

Excellent choice and i was older than him when got mine, so good old guy bike. My wife liked riding it as pillion,too.

R1100rt is relatively easy to work on and reliable. Not as smooth as a 750 UJM bu has its own charm while cruising. Nice features like heated grips, electric wndshield, etc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Keep your eye on the used inventory at local dealerships, especially (of course) BMW. It's trade-in season.
Steve
1990 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 10:44 pm

I've only ridden an R1100 a couple times but I would say it would be a very good choice. I have thought once I get older it may easily be the bike I may buy.
My mechanic still has an 03 R1100 police model sitting in this shop all covered up. He will sell it but isn't pushing it since he still has hopes of riding it. (He's too short for it). PM me if interested.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Noob

I had one for a time. It's a fine machine, and has ABS standard which is a big plus for me. I also had a later model 1150RT and hated the fully-linked brakes. The 1100RT "fixed" that problem. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it's pretty heavy, and could use a sixth gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode