New M/C shopping advice needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Question New M/C shopping advice needed

Sorry, but inquiring about your experience with "Japanese" MC dealers. My son is looking at a new GSXR and the dealer offered $900 off the MSRP, but then wanted every other nickel and dime (silly stuff like credit check fee, tire disposal fee), PLUS $2400 for dealer prep!!!
Is this huge dealer prep amount standard?? I only gave my BMW dealer a few hundred dollars (don't remember exactly), but of course I paid MSRP.
Have any of you experienced this and got any ideas to get this negotiated/reduced??

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:03 pm
Addict

Cool Gixxers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT
Sorry, but inquiring about your experience with "Japanese" MC dealers. My son is looking at a new GSXR and the dealer offered $900 off the MSRP, but then wanted every other nickel and dime (silly stuff like credit check fee, tire disposal fee), PLUS $2400 for dealer prep!!!
Is this huge dealer prep amount standard?? I only gave my BMW dealer a few hundred dollars (don't remember exactly), but of course I paid MSRP.
Have any of you experienced this and got any ideas to get this negotiated/reduced??

Thanks in advance.

Jim
I'd suggest searching around for a GSXR forum to find out what people are realyl paying - but in my experience the Dealer Prep fee is crap - just a way for them to make money.

Having not bought a "Japanese" bike before, I'm only repeating what I've heard a million times on the other forums.

It's infinitely easier to call around/email around to other Japanese dealers since they're so many of them.

Let us know what happens!

alow

p.s. The 2 gixxer forums that come to mind are http://www.gixxer.com and http://www.gsxr.com

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 8:07 am
Enthusiast

Think I would walk away from that dealer and look elswhere. Last NON BMW I bought new was an 02 RC51 and paid none of that crap. Negoiated a price and that was it. Now I know the dealer had some margin still built in for his prep and stuff but there was nothing added on over the price other than tax and state fees. Def check to see what other people are paying online.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:48 am
Addict

walk away

i would walk away from that particular dealer because he's obviously trying to rape you and your kid especially with the 2400 dealer prep fee. i have several buddies that ride jap bikes and the dealer prep fees all seem to average around 200-400 bucks. hell for 2400 bucks you can add another grand or so and buy a used bike. when i purchased my r1150r i only paid 150 for dealer prep and when i bought my krs i paid 300 bucks for dealer prep. other than that there were no additional fees except taxes, registration and tags. there are plenty of jap bike dealers around so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to do business with thats going to sell you a bike and not try and rape you at the same time. good luck and ride safe.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Telepathetic

When I bought my '04 Suzuki I paid $50 prep fee. Seemed fair as it took about an hour to unpack it and set it up.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:41 pm
Veteran

Total BS... I've never paid dealer prep on any BMW, BMW reimburses the dealer for this cost..shipping yes ,prep no. On the Japanese bikes I've bought, $200.00 prep fee.. $2400.00 is robbery.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Fees

With each dealer I've dealt the same hand--final price, I don't care how you get there and backroom the pieces. Plenty of dealers to choose.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:02 pm

The bottom line is your son is paying $1500. OVER retail..... I think the very next dealer down the rode will beat their price,,,,by at least $1500........Regards Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in