Iron Butt 2011 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Looking for better limits...

Iron Butt 2011

Ken Meese leading the crowd this time. Linky to the daily updates on the IronButt site.

Edit: Ken's update page.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Last edited by Razel; Jul 5th, 2011 at 7:58 pm. Reason: Added update information link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Ken Meese leading the crowd this time. Linky to the daily updates on the IronButt site.
If you have problems with the above link, try this Linky instead. The updates aren't daily, but nearly so.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2011, 10:36 am
Veteran

I see in today's report Ken forgot his rally flag at one point and had to turn around and go back to get it and lost 4 hours in the process. If he didn't retrieve it, it would be a loss of 150 points.

The FJR1300 board is abuzz about this rally as there are 17 FJR's in this rally and their FJR rider Dick Peet (in 2nd) is behind Meese in points: Yamaha FJR1300 Forum Some 57 pages of stuff there. I think they are rooting Peet for a win.

Aisde, seems to say something of the FJR1300 durability too. At least the BMW's aren't blowing chunks and finals as bad as in years past...yet. Never understood why the Gold Wing and Harley guys can't do a better showing or finish. Too much weight causes some fatigue maybe? I know one Honda rider who did some Iron Butt coast-to-coast thing (CA to FL and back) and he had a Gold Wind, but opted to take the ST1100 for some reason I never fully understood.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm
Veteran

Dang it. Spoke too soon.

Seems BMW is indeed blowing chunks in the IBR - yet again. Somewhere in Florida these popped up in Photobucket, and maybe even a chain-drive model too?

Famous final drive failure on an RT in Jacksonville, and maybe the yellow/white GS next to it too since the wheel and tire are sitting close so they aren't the issue?

Just when I thought that BMW blowing-up stuff was over. Fwiw, these are swipes off the FJR forum on the rally. They must be laughing their heads off over there. Meese better hold the lead for the sake of BMW.

Mack
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2011, 6:20 am
Veteran

Found this. Probably from the FJR guys.

Super Meese prior to the IBR Start

Does sound a bit like him too.

Sounds like one BMW entrant's fuel pump went south in Texas and he got a loaner to finish the event. Final drive leaking too. BMW needs to make a better showing in these events in reliability. No wonder there were so many FJR entries. Even the 'Lucas inspired' Triumph was still going. Two out of 3 Harley riders out too, but they just wimp out usually.

Mack
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2011, 1:44 pm
Rookie

Yup, my motorcycles club treasurer, Wallace French, Yankee Beemers treasurer had his fuel pump fail in Texas and there is oil leaking out of the FD.

So far the YBs have had two entrants over the past few years and neither BMW has finished........Ugh!

Wallace got a loaner motorcycle with 130K miles on it, a 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD to finish the ride in style!

Roy B
Dartmouth Ma
2007 DL650 V Strom
2007 BMW K1200R Sport
2002 Moto Guzzi V-11 Sport
2004 Honda VFR
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2011, 7:39 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto
Wallace got a loaner motorcycle with 130K miles on it, a 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD to finish the ride in style!
Man. If a 14 year old Kawi Vulcan with 130K miles on it can make it to the finish line where BMW can't, doesn't speak well for a BMW that can't complete a rally in 11,000 miles before it blows up.

Mack
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2011, 8:15 am

I heard through rumor control the 2 side by side in the bottome picture is one in the rally had a drive shaft go bad so the other guy pulled up and swaped with him to get him back on the road. and the doner bike had to limp along home

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm
Veteran

Exclamation Meese is out of the race and in surgery.

I see on the IBR site Meese had an accident on I-50 in Nevada and was air-transported to a Reno hospital for surgery. His wife is en route from Oxnard, CA. No other details were given.

God speed Meese.

Another is out due to a mountain lion strike in Arizona east of Kingman while riding a Gold Wing and was also air transported out.

Report is here: 2011 IBR Rally Report

Mack
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:26 pm

Sorry to hear that Mack

Prayers on the way for him

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode