Sneaky DMV attack. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2011, 6:08 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Sneaky DMV attack.

I know the California budget has screwed up the license renewals, but that seems resolved now and actually may have gone down a bit too. I couldn't get my tags for my 2006 K1200GT currently due this month during that time.

Well, today I finally get my renewal in the mail (July 7th) for $160. If I am "ONE DAY" late (beyond July 8), it goes to $188 or $28 more. I almost stuck a stamp on an envelope with the check in it which might go out tomorrow (US Mail, who knows?), but spotted that little thing on the statement so I decided I better do it online instead to be safe. It ran out of late charges at $267 (~one month out).

Be careful on those CA renewals. I got into hot water on some smog check on the car once that didn't hit the state DMV from the smog check's computer and it took three months to straighten it out (smog guy had to file it manually) and probably 4 times getting pulled over and going through the mess with the cops. Three months with no current tag on the plate is a big mess especially if it is a computer fault. More so if you go out of state with a late tag.

Lesson learned is "To get it in early ya' all."

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 4:40 am
Addict

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 9:17 am
Veteran

I know several people affected by the delays.

One did not get his replacement drivers license before the previous license and the temporary paper license both expired.

Another bought a used motorcycle from a dealer. He got the correct, updated registration papers (from the dealer), but the license plate decal did not arrive.

I am still waiting for the annual license plate decal to arrive for my K1200GT, and I paid the update early, a couple months ago. The decal expires this month (July).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:48 pm

I think Governor MoonBeam had something to do with the DMV snafu... The state budget not being passed on time, wanting to save money by not sending out 60 day renewal notices cause the fees were changing July 1st.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/n...lyrenewals.htm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S

Last edited by K13GT; Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:16 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 7:52 am
Addict

good grief a 160 bucks just to get your registration renewed what a rip off, in PA it only costs me 18 dollars for my bike, 36 for my car and 58 for the truck which is still less than what you're paying just for your bike.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 8:57 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I am still waiting for the annual license plate decal to arrive for my K1200GT, and I paid the update early, a couple months ago. The decal expires this month (July).
Quote:
Originally Posted by K13GT
I think Governor MoonBeam had something to do with the DMV snafu... The state budget not being passed on time, wanting to save money by not sending out 60 day renewal notices cause the fees were changing July 1st.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/n...lyrenewals.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
good grief a 160 bucks just to get your registration renewed what a rip off, in PA it only costs me 18 dollars for my bike, 36 for my car and 58 for the truck which is still less than what you're paying just for your bike.
I was mistaken. The California DMV renewal notice for the K1200GT arrived in the mail a couple days ago. I had not paid it yet. The "renew by" date was early July, and the notice was postmarked 3 days after the due date. According to the notice itself, an additional $30 penalty should be applied for paying late, but the DMV had inserted an additional green paper saying that there was a 30-day grace period for late renewals.

I paid it online. The DMV web site was crawlingly slow. There were five minute delays between screens. When I clicked the final "PAY" button, the DMV web site did not present the usual receipt to print. Instead, I got a "Shopping Cart Empty" page. I assume that the session simply timed out - it took too long to get through the various pages before hitting the Pay button.

I called DMV and waited on hold for 45 minutes. They told me to check with my credit card company to see if the transaction had been processed. Apparently they are normally processed within a minute or two. They also told me that the DMV site would not allow me to renew the registration if it had already been done. I called the credit card company, determined that no charges had been processed, and then I repeated the DMV registration again. This time it ran a little faster, and I got the receipt to print.

I wonder how long it will be before the sticker comes in the mail? The DMV person I spoke with told me that there have been long delays, but the police know not to enforce expired sticker infractions. Great!

By the way, registration, license, and fees on my 2007 K1200GT were $169. That's the reduced rate. Governor Brown wants to eliminate the reduction, which would nearly double the registration next year. I still wonder why the electorate re-elected him. Did they forget everything he did in the previous two terms during the 1980s?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:48 am

My vehicle registrations all expire in February which is far from good riding most years up here. A couple times I've renewed the cages and left the bikes until fairer weather appears. If its more than a couple months there are no late charges, they actually deduct the pro rated cost of those months from the registration. I hope they don't get any ideas from your fair state.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode