Raced a Harley today - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Raced a Harley today

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of a canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.

Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

Yes it's a repost from another site, but a good laugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:24 am

Thanks for that post. My wife and I both laughed out loud.

Ken
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:26 am

Nice story and probably very realistic. Seen those crazy downhill races in tour the France. No way I could keep up with these guys, no matter the horsepowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:28 am
Noob

Shamelessly stolen! roflmao!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 1:17 pm
Looking for better limits...

Hey! I could swear when I read it was a Schwinn...

Funny thing is this is the third board I frequent that this has popped up on in the last four days. And, no, I don't go to any Harley boards...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Last edited by Razel; Jan 15th, 2006 at 6:11 pm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Hysterical! SWMBO and I howlled

I have shamelessly stolen it and posted it to yet another board. Gotta keep a good thing going.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 4:08 pm

You totally sucked me in with that one. My wife and I are still laughing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Harley Schmarley........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeodial
I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

Yes it's a repost from another site, but a good laugh.
I'm glad I was intelligent enough to come back to this post......been bugging me all day.
It was a good laugh after I read it thouroughly, as my high school English teacher would say. I was really upset. My buddy has a V-Rod (and I outweigh him by 200 lbs. !!) and he actually thinks he can pull away from me. This past summer two new friends that have the 1150 GS's ??, told my old friend when I was not present (they are his cousins), Quote: "they never knew how fast and powerful a K12GT was until that fat-ass blew by us at 100" .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GTosprey
Quote: "they never knew how fast and powerful a K12GT was " .
But not near as powerful as aYamahaha FJR of course.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:21 pm
Enthusiast

cut and pasted this to another board I frequent, couldnt help but bring back one of the replies so:

This it total bullony....

#1 This event appears to have taken place over a period of miles. Totally bogus..Hardleys can not cover a period of miles in a single day.

#2 He states that he came up behind one and managed to pull even. Totally bogus....the oil slick behind a Hardley would have been too great an obstacle to overcome.

#3 He claims to have pedalled furiously to end up in front. He could have walked his bike and won....Hardley would have been on the side of the road within sight of the starting line.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode