Burnt Residue on Stainless Exhaust Can - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2011, 1:50 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Burnt Residue on Stainless Exhaust Can

Gotta Staintune system on my K12GT, and the stainless exhaust can has a burnt-on residue from contact with a loose nylon webbing strap.

Have not found any type of solvent that will dissolve this crusty residue - prefer not to try anything mechanical, such as fine steel wool.

Any experience out there?

04 K12GT, 99 K12RS, 98 916, 91 R100GSPD, 87 R80G/S, 74 850 Commando, 69 XLH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:29 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_F4
Gotta Staintune system on my K12GT, and the stainless exhaust can has a burnt-on residue from contact with a loose nylon webbing strap.

Have not found any type of solvent that will dissolve this crusty residue - prefer not to try anything mechanical, such as fine steel wool.

Try a credit card edge when things are cooled off. Not sure how burnt nylon will do against a credit card, but the card won't mar the pipe.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 8:19 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_F4
- prefer not to try anything mechanical, such as fine steel wool.

My experience is all bad, so I don't have anything to offer other than you're on the right track by avoiding a mechanical solution. Been there, done that, regretted it always. I remember reading somewhere that someone thought oven cleaner was the right way to go.

Last edited by chuckwilmot; Jul 29th, 2011 at 8:20 am. Reason: added last sentence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Addict

Fixed that when my can caught a nylon cover. I only use cotton canvas now!

First you do NOT use metal tools or steel wool - you will just replace one lump of ugly burnt plastic with a scuff mark on the polished stainless which is harder to remove. You are unlikely to find solvents for nylon.

The secret is getting the can up to the temperature where the nylon will re-melt just like a glue gun. First wipe on some MS3 silicone grease which is high temperature. If the nylon is very heavily carbonised there won't be much left to melt.

Leave the bike running until the fans come on. Use only some soft wood sawn off at the end like a chisel about 3/4" wide. If you have the time to shape the end with a radius to match the can, then even better. When the bike and can are up to temperature, try pushing off the melted nylon, even tap the wood lightly with a small hammer. But keep the chisel edge as parallel to the can as possible - you don't want dents in it!! If the nylon is slow to move, use a blow lamp with a paint remover spreader and wave it across - but do not apply so much heat the residue caramelises and goes more black.

When you have finished you may still have to do some polishing. Stainless steel is virtually imposible to hand polish so get plenty of polishing compound and use an electric polisher.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:41 pm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Not quite the same as melted nylon.. recently had a big black glob of bird crap on the SS can on my new "S". By the time I got home it was really baked on so I let the bike cool down completely and placed a wet shop rag over the blob and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
About 90% wiped off but there was still a black stain on the can, WD40 and brake cleaner didn't cut it so on a whim I tried some ceramic cook top cleaner. Put a dab of the cleaner on the stain, let it sit about a minute and then put a little cleaner on a damp cotton rag and gently buffed it until it was shiny clean.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2011, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Got world-class chemists at work, and the word there is that there's probably no solvent that won't etch the metal.

So....it went off in the brown truck to a metal polishing service. Pricey, but it had accumulated some stains and it'll come back looking like new.

04 K12GT, 99 K12RS, 98 916, 91 R100GSPD, 87 R80G/S, 74 850 Commando, 69 XLH
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:34 pm

Easy Off Cold Oven Cleaner works great on chrome for this kind of problem. Let the pipes get cold to the touch and spray on a good coat of the stuff. Let it sit overnight and in the morning it will rinse right off with cold water. I've never tried it on stainless but can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 9:08 am
Addict

NEVER use it on the old aluminium cans - the OP's chemists will tell him about the reaction betwen caustic soda (oven cleaner) and aluminium.
It can help break down the carbonised plastic, but I'd test it on the hidden underside of a stainless can first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode