insurance change with my move...2011 K1300S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2011, 11:55 am Thread Starter
Addict

insurance change with my move...2011 K1300S

I have liberty mutual. My bike plates all kept the AZ plates for over 5 years (my house is in phoenix) while I worked in Huntington Beach for nearly 6 yrs. That changed when I bought my 2011 K1300S from Irv Seaver, it was easier to get the CA plate, etc because they took a trade in on my 2006 K12S.

So, AZ, liberty mutual....about 100 bucks/month in Phoenix.

Liberty Mutual in socal....about 180/month

Liberty Mutual in MI (metro detroit).....80/month...AND this includes the cost of medical for the driver!! what a novel idea!

I say this because I found out when I totalled my 02LT, medical does not cover the operator!! my spouse had to sue me to cover her med costs as a passenger, right from the insurance co.

going from the midwest to the west, my first shocker was double-collision, etc due to the cost of un-insured motorist stuff. I have it on all the cars (bikes) out west.

I dumped all that, same full cov otherwise with the additional operator medical add-on (about 50k coverage I think).

but you get the drift. These costs deltas are rediculous.

and I can hardly stand riding here anymore without lane splitting in this constant, screw every direction you take orange barrel rodeo, good grief...I mean, its really that bad

Of course after riding at speed in the mountains for the last 250k miles on my LT and KS's its no wonder. Drivers around here are trying to kill me too but hey, its MI, land of the 3 month summer!!!

I put the bike up for sale (here only so far) because I'm going to buy something a little bigger maybe...like a farm tractor LOL...seriously! with attachments of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2011, 6:17 pm
Veteran

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2011, 9:03 am
Veteran

You're stating it in monthly terms, but don't most insurance companies require the policy to be in effect the whole year? I think the company I am with does it that way. No idea what they'd do if I cancelled for the winter and asked for a refund, only to put it back on in the spring.
If I am right about that, then I can see where they'd want a lot more in AZ or So Cal, as you can actually ride all of those 12 months quite regularly. Here they sort of assume you'll be off the road a number of months.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2011, 9:07 am
Veteran

They want 80/month for 12 months coverage in Detroit, but if you only can ride 6 months (for example) takes it up to $160 a month for the actual riding season. In the southwest, yeah 180/month because they are all "rideable" months. And I know there are guys in Michigan who ride all year and so forth, there are always exceptions.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2011, 4:01 pm
Enthusiast

The rate in MI may be more per month, but I don't have the same coverage in the winter months as the summer. I drop the collision, and increase the comprehensive deductible, and decrease to the minimum liability. In addition, MI is a no-fault state, Full-Life medical benefits if you are hit by a automobile.

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2011, 5:58 am Thread Starter
Addict

Yeah, that all makes sense, still I can feel it in the pocketbook.

For the moment that is. Now I'm looking at buying a (choke) cage for the first time in 6 yrs (other than a temp 5 months while injured out west).

I do typically ride about 6 months here in MI (when I lived here before) but yes, I do believe that monthly rate covers the whole year. Gotta have it, I had a bike burn up in a garage fire some years ago and insurance covered the whole thing.

And yep, now add a car payment and insurance for the snow, I guess its a wash

I just like whining....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode