1990 k75 intermittently not starting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 5:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

1990 k75 intermittently not starting

Has anyone had any problems with a 1990 k75, when I turn the ignition switch on all the instrument lights come on and then I press on the electric start button the instrument lights dim and the bike will not start. I've checked and charged the battery and the battery is good. this is an intermittent problem. I've jumped the the motorcycle and it starts right up with not problem, and then a couple or a few days later I'll have the same problem. trying to save money, any suggestions? could I have a short on the ground side? or can the starter relay cause something like this? I know usually the starter relay would get stuck and continue to run is the common problem for the starter relay.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 11:50 am
Enthusiast

Relay

Open the relay box and tap the relay with the screwdriver handle when this happens next. If it then starts right up, replace the relay - I believe these are common and available at a local auto parts store.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 7:54 pm
Veteran

I had a situation similar to this with the 87 I used to own, ended up being the ignition switch (the electrical part under the part your key goes in).
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflores739
Has anyone had any problems with a 1990 k75, when I turn the ignition switch on all the instrument lights come on and then I press on the electric start button the instrument lights dim and the bike will not start. I've checked and charged the battery and the battery is good. this is an intermittent problem. I've jumped the the motorcycle and it starts right up with not problem, and then a couple or a few days later I'll have the same problem. trying to save money, any suggestions? could I have a short on the ground side? or can the starter relay cause something like this? I know usually the starter relay would get stuck and continue to run is the common problem for the starter relay.

Thanks
I'm relatively new to the K-Bike community but I read that the starters on these motorcycles need regular cleaning to prevent problems. I did mine while replacing all the fluids and found it quite dirty.

Check out this document:

http://www.bmwmcnj.com/Technical/bmd...or%20free..pdf

Nick
78 R100S
91 R100RT
93 K75S
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Check the push button and clean, check the ignition(key hole) and clean.

Post back

1995 K75 Standard
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 3:07 pm
Noob

When I had similar problems with my K100 I was advised that the starter motor brushes were a likely culprit. It took me 45 minutes from start to finish and the problem was instantly cured.

Don't Panic.
THINK!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode