Trying to justify a K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Trying to justify a K1200RS

Background: I've got two (2) machines. . .F650gs and a K75rt. The F650 is my "summer commuter", which knocks out about 65mpg. The K75 is my "winter commuter + 2-up" machine.

The problem: I've got a severe itch for a K1200rs, but I'm having trouble justifying it.

The question: How comfortable for the passenger is a K1200rs compared to a K75rt? My wife likes to ride with me, but I want to make it as comfortable for her as possible. The K75 is a bit cramped and quite warm in the summer, but I'm concerned about the wind protection/seating position of the RS. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackQT
Background: I've got two (2) machines. . .F650gs and a K75rt. The F650 is my "summer commuter", which knocks out about 65mpg. The K75 is my "winter commuter + 2-up" machine.

The problem: I've got a severe itch for a K1200rs, but I'm having trouble justifying it.

The question: How comfortable for the passenger is a K1200rs compared to a K75rt? My wife likes to ride with me, but I want to make it as comfortable for her as possible. The K75 is a bit cramped and quite warm in the summer, but I'm concerned about the wind protection/seating position of the RS. . .

I can't speak to the comparison with the K75RT but having owned an '04 KRS AND an '02 R1150RT at the same time I feel I can speak to matter of comfort. The KRS' wind protection is maybe half that of a fully faired bike and yes, you'll notice it when riding in nasty weather. This bike's somewhat more agressive sport touring ergos also means you'll both be assuming a similarly agressive posture.

Will you support your wife with some kind of back rest? What kind of creature comfort does she like? If you take a look at BMW's KRS brochures throughout its production run you'll notice that when the bike is photographed with two-up riders the passenger is pretty close to the operator. This could make for an unpleasant experience when it's hot but not so much if the weather's cool or rainy and you'll be back to the "cramped" situation you have on your K75.

And now for the positive. I LOVED my KRS and wish I still had it. Yes, I have its new brother, the K12s but the older model was more for sport touring than anything else plus it did so many other things so well. I miss the KRS' cruise control, a lot, and it's one thing that's kept me from venturing out of state with the K12s or taking an overnighter on it - two things I plan to do this fall.

Getting back to the KRS, you will be blown away by the difference in performance and you won't notice the slight weight gain, much. I didn't check to see where you live but there's a very, very sweet loaded '03 with lots of extras listed for sale on the IBMWR site. Oh, and it's black, too. $6600, a screamin' deal.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2011, 10:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I doubt we'll be riding in nasty weather. . .and she's pretty easy to please. Doesn't require many creature comforts.

Don't have a backrest on the K75 and she doesn't seem to mind.

Thanks for the wind protection insight! When it is 105 with a 20mph south wind (like it was in Oklahoma today), a little less wind protection is a *good* thing. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2011, 9:10 am

Why don't you look at a GT? Same bike, just more creature comforts n stuff (bigger screen, add on fairing, bit better 2 up stock seat, etc). Don't know your location but here is one in NH. Low miles; looks nice.
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2486500259.html
And if the other half really wants a comfy cushion you can go to an aftermarket seat with the very nice rear. (Mayers, Russell etc.) and a Pirates or Sargent backrest. The backrests come up on ebay once in awhile n go for $100-$150. My 2 bits.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2011, 12:07 pm
Noob

I can't compare tto theK75, but my wife says the K1200RS is more comfortable for the passenger than the K100 that we used to have
And it's a lot cooler for the rider - less heat from the engine
And it's WAAY more fun to ride!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2011, 1:41 pm
Noob

I had a 2004 RS and traded for a GT and there is a big difference. Windscreen is 4" taller and 1" wider, seat is definitely more comfortable (higher and better padded) and heated, grips are larger and more comfortable, fairing does give your hands and legs better protection, etc. They are subtle differences but they add up to be significant. The hard cases are also painted on the GT to match the bike color, which I like.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2011, 8:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yeah, I thought about the GT. . .but a big part of the reason I'm looking at an RS is for the kick-in-the-pants when I twist the throttle. My current two machines are wonderful riding down the highway (in their own ways), but neither of them really have much punch.

That being said, maybe I'll revisit the GT.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:13 am
Noob

Smile

Jack We went from an '02 R1150RT to an '03 K1200RS and my wife was more comfortable on the KRS. We now have an '08K1200GT and we both miss the KRS. I think you and wife will be happy with the KRS. They were the best looking K bikes IMHO.

Frank Pandina
W. Henrietta NY
'08 K1200 GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:20 am
Throttle Jockey

I have an '01 RS with the stealth back rest, and my wife says it is the most comfortable bike she has ever been on (and she's ridden on quite a few). Best two up bike I have ever owned!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode