California..what's happening out there..? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:18 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Angry California..what's happening out there..?

..with the Gov. who doesnt think it's important to have a M/C endorcement, MSF knocking off their instructor(s) and attacking other State M/C programs...now a SF radio advocates attacking motorcyclists..

==================
This is one motorcyclists account of what he heard on Live 105 on the
morning of 1/14/06 Infinity Broadcasting Co.

> This morning, turned on live 105.3 and caught them saying how they
>thought it was unfair that motorcycles were able to split lanes, and
>that we should be stuck sitting in traffic with the rest of the cars.
>The DJ "woody" went on to say it was his pet peeve and would love to
>see people open their car door while a bike was splitting.He said he
>wanted to see them "Crash Hard"
>His two morning show cronies just sat there and agreed how great that
>would be.

This thread is making it's way around the motorcycle community.. I
have sent letters to the Radio Station and the FCC.

Members, Their comments were not funny, or cute, they were an
irresponsible act and not a matter of first amendment rights. It is
down right offensive to human kind and they need to be held
accountable. Their irresponsible unaccountability and lack of concern
for the well-being of the community they serve is undeserving of a
license to broadcast. Their DJ, "Woody" as a "professional" in the
broadcast industry, takes on a responsibility to the community he
serves when they broadcast. He has sorely mishandled his responsibility.

I am encouraging the 250 motorcyclists that are in the clubs I chair
to send letters to the FCC in protest to their recent broadcast. I
believe the FCC, as the governing body will not take their comments
lightly. I, as well as the others will be calling for the removal of
their DJ "Woody" and that an investigation into their actions be made.

Lorin Guy
President
Northern California Norton Owners Club
And mediator
Vintage Triumph Riders Group

If you agree you can send letters/ or electronic mail to:

Infinity Broadcast Company at
http://www.live105.com/interact/contact/default.htm

And:

FCC
Enforcement Bureau, Investigations and Hearings Division
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20554

# Electronic Mail at [email protected]
# Toll Free: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322)
# Fax: 1-866-418-0232
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:27 am

It's open season on riders.

Just Friday heading home from work (surface street), I had on two seperate occaisions have a car merge into my lane without turn signals being activated or any idea that I was occupying the lane.

Several times I have seen cars on a one-way three-lane street making a left or right turn from the middle lane without activating turn signals. Had a friend total his bike because of this. Luckily he had no major injuries.

It's a jungle out there
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:00 am
Enthusiast

Wink New BMW option

SAM. Just a small surface to air missile. Capable of vaporising say a Honda Civic. Between cell phone inattention, just plain poor driving skills and now spite. I think half the time you are almost better if they don't see you. You just have to expect they will try to run you over in the most imaginative ways. Either slow way down or speed way up, catch them by unawares.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffyk
Several times I have seen cars on a one-way three-lane street making a left or right turn from the middle lane without activating turn signals. Had a friend total his bike because of this. Luckily he had no major injuries.
Try riding in Houston! On my commute to work, I've routinely had individuals make a left turn from the right lane at a 3-lane intersection where left turns are permitted from the left 2 lanes (mandatory in far left lane, optional in center lane). Sometimes ya feel like someone painted a bulls-eye on your backside!

Rusty
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:12 am

We'll just have to wait for the first rider to find an open door in front him to sue the station for accessory aggravated assault. This type of action from the radio station approaches enticing hate crime status, perhaps?

More than ever, ride safe and defensively.

While I agree the broadcaster should not be enticing aggressive action against motorcycles (or anyone, for that matter), if lane splitting is causing potential road rage, why would I continue to do so and endanger myself. Legal or not, it's our action that is bringing on this broadcaster's pet peeve to his audience.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:39 am

That moron needs a little education, not an end to lane sharing. What he doesn't realize is he reached his destination sooner because the motorcycles ahead of him lane shared, adding empty space where they would have been if not sharing. There'd be less road rage if cages knew this. Also, many cages don't understand it's legal in CA. It's also safer for the motorcyclist (if done properly) as well. I'll send an e-mail to that station. That dipsh!t should apologize and explain how he was wrong.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:10 pm
Enthusiast

Sent a nasty gram

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:17 pm

After I wrote an e-mail to 105.3 fm, I looked on their website. Apparently, there's already been an appropriate response to the uproar:

http://www.live105.com/music/co-op/default.htm
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner
Legal or not, it's our action that is bringing on this broadcaster's pet peeve to his audience.
What a crock of sh!t!! It's the broadcaster's biased attitude and uneducated opinion that is the problem. As Steve Carlton mentioned, lane sharing expedites the flow of traffic for all motorists and is safer for the motorcyclist when done responsibly.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm
Looking for better limits...

Ya know, you'll find most people (not everyone) in California who ride defending lane sharing...mainly because we've tried it and it works.

You will also find people in states that don't allow it (most, but not all) who find that it's not safe. For those folks, perception isn't always reality.

The moron on the radio never stated he wanted the rider to "crash hard". Just that as the story goes around, embellishments seem to get attached. He did state he didn't want anyone hurt, and on the following morning when the excrement had hit the fan hard, he restarted that he didn't want any harm done. Also appologized for being ignorant of the actual status of lane sharing. What he hasn't done, though, is appologized for advocating road rage. Usually, that ends up with someone getting hurt, and I'm willing to bet that 99% of the time a 5000lb vehicle will come out on top of an altercation with a 500lb motorcycle

Anyway, a major motorcycle board there (B.A.R.F) is taking the position that there needs to be something positive from this. The radio station is being asked to provide Public Service Announcements advocating sharing the road, and that lane-sharing is permitted here.

The ironic thing here is just after this "pet peeve" segment, up pops a commercial break for Bay Area Yamaha. Tell me that wasn't fun...so on Friday the 13th (the day after), the manager of BAY comes on, they discuss the stupid events of the day before, he gets some shots in on the three radio "personalities", then suggests (and apparently they've accepted) that he pay for them to take the MSF course, and come by the dealership for a motorcycle. Not sure what the deal is on the motorcycle is, though.

So, most here are taking a wait-n-see attitude toward this. Some are still calling for the removal of the morning show team, though. Last time I looked, the post count for the main thread was over 850 posts, but the hub-bub has seemed to died down...but I haven't checked this morning. No telling.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Last edited by Razel; Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:17 pm. Reason: Spelling fixed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode