Flat Tire - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:12 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Flat Tire

Why is it ALWAYS the back?!

Show of hands, please, how many trust the plugs for everyday riding? I went out to the garage this morning to back my bike out and go to work, and it did that all-too-familiar hard to push thing. My dealership puts green slime in all the tires they mount, so the tire held about 15lbs of pressure and felt hard when I knocked it with my fist, but there was a screw head deep in the tread and it was obvious that I was not going to ride to work this morning.

I have both the rubber tire plugger kit and I have an auto kit with the big awl to poke in their big worms covered with goop. So I can do that when I come home this afternoon. OR, I can air it up and ride it to the dealership for a new tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:31 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Why is it ALWAYS the back?!

Show of hands, please, how many trust the plugs for everyday riding? I went out to the garage this morning to back my bike out and go to work, and it did that all-too-familiar hard to push thing. My dealership puts green slime in all the tires they mount, so the tire held about 15lbs of pressure and felt hard when I knocked it with my fist, but there was a screw head deep in the tread and it was obvious that I was not going to ride to work this morning.

I have both the rubber tire plugger kit and I have an auto kit with the big awl to poke in their big worms covered with goop. So I can do that when I come home this afternoon. OR, I can air it up and ride it to the dealership for a new tire.
I use the gummy worms for emergency repairs. I have heard too many stories from plug owners where they ride for 20 miles and the plug comes out, then ride another 20 miles and the next plug comes out ... plug, rinse, repeat. I would not rely on either the worms or the plugs as a long term fix. I know some riders who have, and they got away with it.

If the tire has significant wear or the screw is in the sidewall (far from the center of the tread), then I would replace the tire.

If the tire is relatively new and the screw is near the center of the tread, then I would consider a third option - have the dealer or an independent shop remove the tire and install a true inside patch.

I suspect that your favorite dealer here in the OC will insist on replacing the tire, and cite safety and liability reasons for not installing inside patches. They are closed on Mondays, by the way.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:36 am

Flats

I use the plugs plus slime for large punctures in the car tires (including my 4WD), but for the GT I only trust the plugs for a trip to the dealer for tire replacement. Paranoia is my prime reasoning for replacement. However, I do carry a can of Slime in case of slow leaks when I cannot locate the source of the problem. Good luck and ride safe.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2011, 4:59 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I think I'm going for a new tire. The flat has about 3K miles on it, and this just aint the end of the world. Every since they took my county ride away from me in the last job shuffle, it's been my daily commuter and downtime is just plain inconvenient.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2011, 7:27 pm
Rookie

I've plugged 9 out of 10 of my last sets of tires. I'd bet I've got 60,000 to 70,000 miles on plugs and trust them completely. That being said, I'm religious about checking/maintaining air pressure.

I had one worm fail, but it was due to the size of the hole not the worm, picked up a huge barb wire. When it failed, I stuffed another one in and rode it till I had time to replace the tire.

Keep in mind when they fail, you get a slow air leak, once enough air has leaked out the bike handles differently so you'll know you've got a leak. If you keep running on the tire with low pressure, it will begin to heat up significantly.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:09 am
Addict

I will add a meetoo on plug use. Yes, I'm careful but I've run thousands on them.

I also use the cheezy cheep old car tire plugs (rayon), they work like a champ.

Metzlers are amazing as a side note. I ran from D.C. to Detroit with a screw in my rear tire, didn't want to chance plugging it on the road if it was holding air. It was, only lost about 2 lbs the whole way. Definitely payin attention though
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:13 am
Veteran

Regarding the discussion above, that is why TPM is a must-have for me.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Metzlers are amazing as a side note. I ran from D.C. to Detroit with a screw in my rear tire, didn't want to chance plugging it on the road if it was holding air. It was, only lost about 2 lbs the whole way. Definitely payin attention though

Wow...that IS amazing!
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Dropped in to the local dealership unannounced and they put my bike on the lift right away and changed out the tire. I had a Z6 on the back and they're old news now. The new version is Z8, which is what they put on, at a slightly lower price than the Z6 was. Is buying tires online the right way to go? Is paying the shipping costs still cheaper than the dealership price? Amazing that I am just now struggling with this. I've just all along thought that paying the dealership price or shipping costs was about a wash.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Enthusiast

Chuck, believe we can all sympathize. I recall once replacing both tires and within a matter of days found a huge drywall screw in....the rear tire of course. I had bought this set online at Southwest Moto and while I saved a few bucks, didn't want to wait on another tire to be shipped from Arizona to Texas.

Called my local Cycle Gear and they had another Michelin PR2 in stock. The tire was more expensive than SW Moto and since I was so pissed, I availed myself of their road hazard insurance. No trouble to date but I sure as heck know where I filed that receipt.

I'll do the plug if I'm on a trip and need to get back to civilization where I'll buy a new tire ASAP. This sport is dangerous enough without having to worry about a repaired tire.

Do some quick research and I believe you'll find dealerships gouge you on tires + mounting & balancing. If possible, buy online or look for a sale at your local Cycle Gear.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode