New to my bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2011, 9:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New to my bike

I just bought a 91 K75 with only 15K miles. I'm very pleased but it does hesitate a bit and is smoking some. A couple buddies of mine say it probably has a old seal that's going or gone and the fuel injectors are gummed up. They suggest some injector cleaner and to take to a shop for some maintenance. I would like to know if those are good suggestions and going forward should I use dino oil or synthetic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2011, 1:52 am
Looking for better limits...

Smokes on start-up? Will happen more when the bike has been sitting on the side stand vs. center stand. Not a whole heck of a lot to do about that.
As for the hesitation, get some Techron fuel system cleaner, and pour a portion in a full tank of gas. Some bottle are good for 16 gallons, some are good for 20. So, use either a third or a quarter bottle per full tank fill up for the injectors. With that few miles on a 20 year-old bike, I kind of doubt it has been ridden that much. About the third tank, open it up for a couple of miles (third gear, open road, up around red-line ... don't want any unwanted pursuit) then ride it 10 miles or so before you end the ride (or more if you like). They will back-fire on decel; nothing to worry about.

You'll be amazed at how smooth that motor is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2011, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New bike continued

I got the injector cleaner so I'll see how that goes. I was out riding and I tried to redline in first gear. When I got to 7500rpm the bike seemed to loose power. Is this a design feature to keep you from over-revving the the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2011, 3:07 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91k75guy
I got the injector cleaner so I'll see how that goes. I was out riding and I tried to redline in first gear. When I got to 7500rpm the bike seemed to loose power. Is this a design feature to keep you from over-revving the the engine?
No, should be able to redline, there is a rev limiter built in but it shouldnt cut in until youre into the redline, max HP on these bikes was at 8500, but.................... Youve got a 20 year old bike thats hardly been used, go careful, get the injectors cleaned and get the Throttle Bodies balanced, when was the fuel filter last changed?

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 1:27 pm
Noob

Yes you can use injector cleaner cleaner on the "K" bikes. Just try to keep the dosage correct for the amount of gas you have in your tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2011, 9:29 pm
Veteran

On the smoking, if you are parking the bike on the side stand, THAT is the smoking issue. Start using the center stand. Use the side stand only to dismount the bike, then up on the side stand. Unless you will only be a minute or two. BUT it will smoke when you start it again .

On the engine cutting out; one big K75 problem is a rubber damper that holds the fuel pump in place in the tank. Gas degrades it and it starts to flake and fall apart in the tank. The rubber particles then plug up a strainer which protects the pump (I assume to protect it from rubber particles, ha ha). This will cut the fuel supply at high revs and you get this problem. You should be able to find info online for this problem.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2011, 9:31 pm
Veteran

Here is one link to get you started:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/archive/...p/t-33052.html

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode