Transmission Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation Transmission Question

I'm looking for some wisdom regarding the transmission on my 07 KGT.
I have the dreaded "slip out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration" problem.
I've read many of the threads however I was wondering whether anyone out there has had the issue dealt with with by repair rather than replacement? Also has anyone had the shift dogs undercut to prevent them from slipping?
I wondering whether the problem could be resolved without the 3 to 4 K reinvestment in a new transmission? With all of the C&C machining capabilities out there I would rather spend a couple of grand having someone machine a new set of 2nd gear dogs and shifter fork than pay BMW.
Any ideas/wisdom that could be offered would be much appreciated.
Regards, Monty

Just Dig My 07 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Really good thread on this topic that may help you out. Good luck.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672283
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 4:33 am
Addict

Before being blown away by internet posts and 'what ifs' you need to make sure the transmission has the internal problems you think it has, or it's an adjustment or riding boot problem.

Once you have had the internals inspected and confirm worn parts, you can then decide what to do. If this is a design 'feature fault' then I agree your own solution may be the best way, provided the solution has been tried and proven. I have often put right design design defects and it can be a lot of work with trial and error to get it right. You don't want to be pulling transmission units on and off the bike. Check out the threads here first or even start your own poll to see if this is a recurring problem for many. If it isn't, then perhaps consider a Boneyard unit to keep you riding.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 6:22 am
Addict

I would look for a good used tranny.

My 2006 K12S, bought brand new in detroit, had 2 trannys replaced before they got it right.

there is a later revision, maybe like number 4, you should look for the latest revision obviously.

Both of my trannys started the popping out of gear problem at about 18-20k miles.

good luck to you...It really is too bad this flaw isn't covered for like, forever. I traded my bike in with 89k miles on it, about 50k on the 2nd tranny and it was flawless. I have to believe they'll outlive the bike if designed and working properly.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2011, 8:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Transmission Question

Thanks for your reply JetPilot. It was just what I was looking for. My trans is @ R&D Motorsports at this moment getting the shift engagement dogs back cut. I'm looking forward to having second gear back again!
Thanks again for your wisdom.
Monty

Just Dig My 07 GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeters
Thanks for your reply JetPilot. It was just what I was looking for. My trans is @ R&D Motorsports at this moment getting the shift engagement dogs back cut. I'm looking forward to having second gear back again!
Thanks again for your wisdom.
Monty
Glad to hear your getting it taken care of. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode