Noobie to BMW not to motorcycling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Noobie to BMW not to motorcycling

Hi Folks: Do any of you have experience with the R1200RT? I'm looking at that and a K1200 GT classic. Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 2:09 pm

I have ridden a R12RT and have an K12RS. Very different bikes, Beyond the switch gear they feel so different it really defies comparison. You just have to go ride each one and see what trips your trigger. The feel of each is different, the riding style is different, the motors are so different (feel, powerband, sense of revs, sound) , posture,as well as fairing and wind effects. Here is a good place to ask questions about the K-GT. You might try bmwsporttouring.com to ask about the RT as there are lots of those "types" over there. (I am over there too guys, so don't unload on me)

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Rookie

apples and oranges. go test ride one of each and you will see a tremendous difference.

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 9:01 pm

I own a 1150RT and have owned a KRS, the closest thing to the KGT. Like others here have said, the bikes are like apples and oranges.

The RT will provide you with an upright seating position, more protection from the weather, and lots more comfort due to less aggressive ergonomics. I loved my KRS and miss it. To me it was a pretty good compromise for sport touring but in the long run it came at a cost to my body. But I still needed the power fix.

I kept the RT, sold the KRS and bought a K1200S to satiate my need for speed. So, what's important to you? Can you afford more than one bike?

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2011, 11:24 pm
Noob

I recently joined the K12 club with an 06 'Bumblebee' with 6200 miles. I've been riding R series police bikes for 4 years, and this is my first BMW Motor ownership experience. So far so good!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2011, 12:51 am
Enthusiast

I'll never forget what a Review said about the seating position on the older K12RS, "You need the legs of Toulouse Lautrec with the arms of an Orang Utang". The GT improved a bit on the arms.

The funny thing is I have a newish K1300GT and although the leg position is still a bit sporty I now find the bike pretty comfy. Last week the dealer lent me a new R1200RT for the day while my bike had work done and although at first I thought it a more comfy bike the next day I had lower back pain, but the main thing was the power characteristics. I do a fair bit of long distance runs on motorways and overtaking cars on the GT requires just a twist of the wrist even in top gear, on the RT dropping a couple of cogs was required to get anywhere near the same velocity. I also found that around town where I can leave the GT in 3rd or even 4th, the RT quite often had me going into 2nd or even first, so for me the GT is the easier bike to ride.

But as has been said, go ride both for a good half day minimum, your criteria could be totally different.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2011, 8:52 am

As for fit, I am good for a 8-10 hour day on the RS. Bars forward, pegs up and back. Towards the end on straight roads my knees are getting tired. In curves you ride active enough not to be stiff with shifting weight and body side to side. Again, ride both, they are so different.

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode