Big Mak Tank Bag Mounting Rack - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 5:52 am Thread Starter
Addict

Big Mak Tank Bag Mounting Rack

I'm looking for the Big Mak mounting rack that fits the BMW. Got two bikes now and would like to move the tank bag from one bike to the other. Big Mak is out of business now, I even wrote the owner Mark a letter but heard nothing back. Someone out there has one, I know you do!

Thanks in advance.......

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasKRSRider
I'm looking for the Big Mak mounting rack that fits the BMW. Got two bikes now and would like to move the tank bag from one bike to the other. Big Mak is out of business now, I even wrote the owner Mark a letter but heard nothing back. Someone out there has one, I know you do!

Thanks in advance.......

Ken,

I wish I had something positive to tell you but I don't. I have a Big Mak bag on my RT and love it but after almost ten years on the road it's looking a bit long in the tooth. Like you I attempted to contact him about buying some spares parts and got no reply. It's all over the innernet that he's not responding to anyone. Sad, isn't it?

I hang out at BMWsporttouring.com and suggest you lurk on their classifieds forum to snag a used BM assembly. Check it early and often because those things go fast!

Good luck.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2011, 4:03 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Big Mak Mounting Rack

Thanks Spanky for your reply....I posted my need on the BMW MOA classified list and within one day got a rack from a guy who lives right here in the Dallas area. Yes it is sad that Mark just shut down his business. I even wrote him a personal letter to his home address, which is on the internet. No reply back.

Sooner or later the zipper in those bags goes bad, I've had two go bad and even zipper lube didn't help. So I'm on my last bag now and when it's gone, I'm back to square 1.

Thanks again......Ken

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Quote:
......I posted my need on the BMW MOA classified list and within one day got a rack from a guy who lives right here in the Dallas area.
And that was my second thought AFTER I hit "send" on my initial reply. I'm glad you were able to source the part you needed!

Quote:
Sooner or later the zipper in those bags goes bad, I've had two go bad and even zipper lube didn't help. So I'm on my last bag now and when it's gone, I'm back to square 1.
Interesting. I've had my BM bag since May of '02 and it's performed flawlessly ever since. My only complaint - and it's a minor one - is that the bag is faded. Oh well, I guess that's what the pro's call "patina," right? Yea, lots of smiles and miles.

Ride safe!

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2011, 8:45 am
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Spanky for your reply....I posted my need on the BMW MOA classified list and within one day got a rack from a guy who lives right here in the Dallas area. Yes it is sad that Mark just shut down his business. I even wrote him a personal letter to his home address, which is on the internet. No reply back.

Thanks again......Ken
I don't know anything about Big Mak bags, but it seems that you could get a tailor or someone to replace the broken zippers for you.

Linda T. is well known among long distance riders for her custom tank bags. She makes them to order according to the customer needs. She is particularly popular for those who enjoy and participate in competitive motorcycle rallies, where time and organization count.

Perhaps she can do the zipper repairs. If not, perhaps she can create something similar to the Big Mak tank bag that you have now.

http://www.customtankbags.com/

I have not bought anything from Linda T., but I know many people who have, and they are universally happy with her work.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2011, 2:50 pm
Veteran

You know. I 'think' I got a BigMac Bag somewhere. New in a box and never seen use. It didn't come with a plate though and is the pear-shaped one that was a bit larger capacity than the smaller U-shaped one. I think Mark sent it to me to try out as a beta tester as the shape was designed to clear the bars - or I think it was? - just that I got rid of the RT about then and it went with the old bag and mounting bracket so I got the new one and no bracket.

Might need to peddle it someday...as a very-overpriced antiquity or something.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode