so-cal newbie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 8:02 am Thread Starter
Addict

so-cal newbie

hello name's mike ,just bought a 07 k1200gt ,this is my 3rd bmw and my 1st k bike ,i really dig the bike and cant wait to find out more info on the bike ,i will post some pics later ,but she's loaded and ready ,has a slight sqeal mild vibraitioin when releasing the clutch 1st gear only ,dealer say's it may be normal ,other than that the bike is awesome and after 30 plus years in riding i finally found my match,i come from a forum community as i have a trailblazer ss (corvette ls2 power)and am into modifing modern muscle cars and a forum administrator aswell,thanks again and look foward to what the site has to offer....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vp2386107_2_large.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	13491  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Welcome to the group, Mike. You have gotten a fine piece of performance equipment. There is only one negative item that you have already discovered and that is the clutch squeal. Depending upon what service has been done to the bike and the mileage, the noise will get progressively worse.
I had my 07 for just over 25K miles and it was a constant source of iration. The clutch was removed, serviced, reworked, and replaced twice. BMW replaced the 07 with an 08 that developed the same set of issues. The entire clutch assembly, cam chain and sprocket were replaced under warranty at 24K miles. The "new" assembly solved the problem. Now at 31K miles, the bike is truly fun to ride.
Good luck and ride well.
EJ
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Rookie

Looks like a sweet ride Mike. Custom seats band all!

My 07 at 35k miles has the same clutch squeal in first now and again. It isn't getting any worse and no problems so far..... now go play at the 7 & 11 ( on the tach) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

thanks guy's and i appreciate the input on the clutch issue..bike has 24-k but from bmw and the people that own them that baby just getting broken in ,i wonder what a clutch replacement would cost ,i have a 30 day warranty ,and i'm also somewhat friends with the dealer and crew from when i had my r1150r and the g.s so we'll see i'll keep ya posted .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2011, 10:04 am
Addict

the clutch on my 06 K12S was $2k to replace at the dealer (long beach)...

I think I had about 40k miles or so on the bike at the time.

it never did feel great soon after I owned it, found that BMW had trouble with the basket holding up (an $800 part), et el, they had to replace the entire assembly. I think labor was about 200 bucks, parts were the rest.

worked fine after replacement. I barely made it to the dealer when mine went, sounded like marbles were loose in there.

congrats on the bike though, you'll luv it, man I've done some nice rides there all over socal...and mid-cal for that matter

I'm saving the rest to go with the SO, she's never seen nocal or the big trees....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2011, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

thanks guy's for the info ,i dropped it off today ,they looked at it and said its fine and i will accept this as a trait of the bike and now i will go ride the shit out of it..lol, going to ride up to the long beach motorcycle show with a buddy on his ducati duavel ,
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 8:29 am Thread Starter
Addict

well after about 7-800 mile's and just under the 30 day warranty i called the dealer and said i wish to have the clutch replaced and i'll even throw 150 buck's towards it ,the sqeal is pretty loud and when cold and releasing the clutch there is a pretty seriuos vibraition and thunk..lol anyway's once she's warm and has been thru the gears then it's just a annoying sqeal though i thought i felt some slippage so i made the call,hopefully that will do it ,and i'll get a new clutch,my sale's guy said he'll get me the k1300s while they do the work ,no problem here ..i'll keep ya posted on the outcome..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2011, 6:53 am
Addict

that is a most excellent move in my opinion.

hate to say it but your clutch sounds just like mine did on my K12S (06) so I suspect you'd have to do something with it sooner than later.

good riding, i hear the weather is very nice in socal lately, I'm on the wrong side of the country!...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2011, 7:51 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
that is a most excellent move in my opinion.

hate to say it but your clutch sounds just like mine did on my K12S (06) so I suspect you'd have to do something with it sooner than later.

good riding, i hear the weather is very nice in socal lately, I'm on the wrong side of the country!...
well your in az ,gotta be some good riding there ,but ya so cal we do have it all ,and i have been tearing up the pavement from the mountans to the sea!!!and yes dealer called and said they would change out the clutch so i'm stoaked !!taking it in on the 2nd!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2011, 9:28 am
Addict

I wish! I was in HB for 6 yrs, but just got transferred back to MI in July last summer. I didn't own a car, just bikes all that time all year round.

it was hard parking my K13S in a garage for the winter, sniff....

But I'm going to retire the last day of March and go back to phoenix where my SO lives.

So they were all laughing at me at work here, I bought this big ole merc and I'm running over curbs trying to learn how to drive a cage again LOL....

don't forget the pies up in Julian!! its a great ride out there...what a cool little mountain town.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode