Buying a bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 8:24 pm Thread Starter
Rip
Noob

Buying a bike

Greetings to all;
This is my first post and after spending a couple of months researching and reading about BMW's, I have decided to pull the trigger and buy a BMW. I have been bikeless for 5 years and it is time to rejoin the ranks.
I am grateful to the memebers that have been very informative about so many topics. I have not made a choice yet, nor even ridden a BMW, but this is my direction, whether it be a RT,RS or GT. Those are my choices.
My question, one of many to come, is that I have finding the values of used BMW's all over the board. I have and always used Kelly Blue Book, since this is what seems to be used by finance companies and insurance companies. NADA is used by dealers and at a higher valuation of the bikes. The Black Book valuation I have no access to that. It appears that most people selling bikes are using the high end of the retail value and no where close to the trade in value, even taking upgrades into consideration. Yes, we all want the most money from the sell and we the buyers want to pay the least or feel like we have gotten a good deal.
What valuation process have you memebers used in purchasing a used BMW, or ay other bike? It just seems strange to have a starting point several thousand dollars apart, even icluding upgrades which we all know depreciate.
Sellers like NADA, buyers KBB and there has to be a middle ground.
Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Since I live in Connecticut, our riding season is coming to an end, though I did play golf today, I will be looking and buying a bike and hope to meet up with you all in the spring.
Thanks to All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:00 pm
Addict

Contact me when you're ready. My 2003 KRS will be for sale. It's black and very beautiful.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2012, 8:24 am
Rookie

I bought my 2000 KRS 3yrs ago for $6500, it had 17K on the odo. I took it to Morton's for sevice. They told me it was in fantastic condition. It now has 42K on it. It's had a 12K service and a 24K sevice plus I upgraded to Olin suspension.

At the time the bike was priced at a little more than 1/3 of a new bike. Sometimes if you like the bike and it's in budget just buy it and start riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2012, 5:04 pm
Addict

i bought a 07 gt that was in mint condition ,looked at a few other's for price average's rode 2 and bought the 1 saved thousand's over new and am happier than a pig in mud ,i knew what i wanted though and went staight after it,it's my 3rd beemer and wanted the k bike this time around..good luck

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2012, 9:57 pm
Rookie

I like cheap, bought a 89 K100 RS. All the high tech of todays, fuel injection, ABS brakes, and there is plenty of on line assistance if you need it. I thiink they have owrked all the bugs out and you can know the weakness up front. $2500 seems to be the price for 27K to 50K miles.

But then I like older bikes. The 84 to 89 are a little cafe racer seating position, the later ones 90 to 94 are a little less. They do run hot, but only in summer!

2008 FLHT
2008 R1200RT
1985 K100 RT
1979 XS 650 Street tracker
Ridden everything,owned lots
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2012, 5:44 pm

I've never bought a new BMW, in fact only my 80's Yamahas were purchased new.

When I decided to look for a Beemer a number of years ago my memories of riding a friend's new bike in Germany in the early '80s took me to the boxer twin. I started by searching the web for any information available and looking at the classifieds to gauge what I could expect to pay.

I found a beautiful 93 R100RT with only 42K miles through a classified in ibmwr.org that was only an hour away. It has a number of great upgrades and I have over 65K on it without any trouble. I paid a fair price based on what I saw advertised in specific BMW lists and magazines and feel I got a great deal. Same goes with the 78 R100S and my newest ride, a 93 K75S found on Craig's list.

There is a lot of good info out there on what to look for and what's a fair price. Always look at any upgrades such as suspension, seats, windscreens, lighting as part of the deal.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Rip
Noob

Thanks and found my Bike

Thank all of you for your help and advice. I found my bike. On Jan. 28th, I bought a 2004 K1200 GT with 9921 miles, in metallic blue. All servicing up to date new tyres ad ready to ride. I did have to wash it and put 4 coats of wax on it, my great pleasure, it looks like new. Since I don't have any riding mates to share my great fortune with, I share it with you.
My name is Paul White, some know me as Rip, I live in Stamford,Ct. and this is my first BMW. What an incredible machine. I drove it home and being able to ride a bike in Jan. in the northeast is a blessing. With a week of nice weather in the forecast, I will be taking advantage of this weather and taking my new baby out on the road so we can get more aquainted and tell her how much I love her. She really loved the wax job.
I hope to meet you guys on the road or at the rallies so I can learn more from you veteran riders. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Rip; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:23 pm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:04 am
Noob

If you want to buy a bike again. Do look at my website.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:32 pm
Noob

Gratz! good luck on your ride.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2013, 7:27 pm
Noob

Stamford area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
Thank all of you for your help and advice. I found my bike. On Jan. 28th, I bought a 2004 K1200 GT with 9921 miles, in metallic blue. All servicing up to date new tyres ad ready to ride. I did have to wash it and put 4 coats of wax on it, my great pleasure, it looks like new. Since I don't have any riding mates to share my great fortune with, I share it with you.
My name is Paul White, some know me as Rip, I live in Stamford,Ct. and this is my first BMW. What an incredible machine. I drove it home and being able to ride a bike in Jan. in the northeast is a blessing. With a week of nice weather in the forecast, I will be taking advantage of this weather and taking my new baby out on the road so we can get more aquainted and tell her how much I love her. She really loved the wax job.
I hope to meet you guys on the road or at the rallies so I can learn more from you veteran riders. Thanks again for your help.
I used to live in Greenwich and some of the best rides I had were riding around the back roads off of North St.,Riversville, Roundhill, Stanwich and Valley Rds. Another good one was Catrock Rd. I'm not sure who or where to suggest on finding buddies because that was years ago for me, but I'm sure you'll find some. Enjoy the roads they're great. Also if you get the chance, go to North Carolina in the early fall and check out the leaves and more great roads around the Asheville area.While there find "Deals Gap', AKA "The Dragons Tail" 318 turns in 11 miles. Simply the best! Nothing I've been on comes close to this road. I know there WERE plenty of riders up there when I was a teenager. Not too many Police to worry about either. So good luck finding buddies and roads. Enjoy... Alan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode