Who insures you? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2012, 9:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Who insures you?

and what are your rates? I just bought an 07 K1200R sport and I have to insure it before I get tags for it. Checked State Farm and got quoted $192 / mo and Progressive was like $109 / mo... I'm a 20 yr old male so I know it wont be terribly cheap but I figure a bike would be cheaper than my car :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2012, 9:17 pm
Addict

me 46 san diego ca ..safeco..450 for the year full coverage ,2007 gt

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:54 am
Addict

2011 K1300S, Liberty Mutual, about 80/month in MI. It was about 1800/yr in socal with Liberty, yikes! due to state-mandated coverages that cost extra I believe regarding CA.

In AZ, it was running about 100/month with Liberty.

that is for full cov, including un-insured, etc...

I totalled a 2002 K1200 LTC about 2-3 yrs ago with the same company. I've had no tickets (that showed up at least, had on in NM, small town), I didn't get ticketed for the accident (no one else involved) but I did get a 10% surcharge on insurance.

If I got a ticket, it would go to a 20% surcharge. what an f'in racket.

just for comparo anyways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:26 am
Veteran

USAA.

They are more expensive than other insurance, and I have heard that they do not accept new motorcycle policies any more. (I am grandfathered in.) I know I could save money by changing, but I use them for all our insurance needs, and their service is unbelievably good.

I know that when I bought my KGT, I was able to add it to my policy, because it replaced the Magna which was already covered by them.

I have heard that they are referring new motorcycle customers to Progressive, but have no first hand knowledge about that. USAA has special qualifications (military related) to join as a member. Not everyone can get their insurance through them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Noob

USAA/Progressive

When I tried to insure my 92 K100RS with USAA 5 years ago, they connected me to Progressive. I believe (as in last post) that Progressive does all of USAA's newer policies. I pay only $125 per year (in Ohio), but I am 50 years old, married with kids.
Have not had any claims with Progressive.

Dean Wirsing

'92 K100RS
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Rookie

2012 K1300S. I had Allstate for 15 years. This year I got a 67% rate increase when I went from a 2005 K1200S to the new bike. There justification was it was newer bike.... yeah right.... my rates didn't drop like that as my previous bike got older.... matter of fact my rates continued to go UP!

Anyhow, wrote Allstate and my agent a NASTY gram and cancelled my motorcycle insurance with them. Then cancelled all my other policies with them within 30 days.

Now I am with Pacific Specialty Insurance. They were $200 less than Allstate. My rate is now $53 a month. I run really high coverage 250/500, 100, UIM 250/500 and only $250 deductibles. This is very reasonable for a new bike.

Bobby
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Enthusiast

Progessive has been good to me. When, my bike fell over in a parking lot, they fixed it with no problem and my rates have reduced every year.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 8:50 pm
Rip
Noob

insurance

I have Geico for the bike and 2 cars. They do not take into consideration my 2 cars. The rate for a 2004 1200 GT is $106 a year with full coverage. I am 58 and no tickets in 10 years. I have not had a bike for 5 years so that may change with my new bike. This sucker is fast and a radar detector is in my future purchase. Progressive is good to, had it on my old bike.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
USAA.

They are more expensive than other insurance, and I have heard that they do not accept new motorcycle policies any more. (I am grandfathered in.) I know I could save money by changing, but I use them for all our insurance needs, and their service is unbelievably good.

I know that when I bought my KGT, I was able to add it to my policy, because it replaced the Magna which was already covered by them.

I have heard that they are referring new motorcycle customers to Progressive, but have no first hand knowledge about that. USAA has special qualifications (military related) to join as a member. Not everyone can get their insurance through them.
I've been a member of USAA for close to 20 years and do my banking and have cars insured with them. When I called them when returning to motorcycles in 2007 I was connected to Progressive as their partner for motorcycles.

I now have all three with them and am pleased with price and service.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Alright so I went with Nationwide. Rates are different from state to state but I've never owned a bike before, got a speeding ticket 2 months ago (though it didn't show up in their system so it wasn't taken into consideration; would have been $200 more).

Full coverage with comp @ 500 and collision @ 1000:
$544 for a year or about 45 a month. Pretty freakin awesome so definitely give them a call for a quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode