cruise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 1:58 am Thread Starter
Veteran

cruise

Researched this here but nothing to help. Going from A to B the cruise will not work at all. Probably returning B to A it will work first and every time. Red light always comes on, but the cruise may or may not work. No rhyme nor reason to it as far as I can see. I have not altered the brake adjustment,, changed a light globe but the wires do not go that way. Not sure where to go with this one. Suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:19 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
Researched this here but nothing to help. Going from A to B the cruise will not work at all. Probably returning B to A it will work first and every time. Red light always comes on, but the cruise may or may not work. No rhyme nor reason to it as far as I can see. I have not altered the brake adjustment,, changed a light globe but the wires do not go that way. Not sure where to go with this one. Suggestions????
I would like to see more specific information. What I think you said is:

When you ride from place A to place B, the cruise control does not work. When you ride from place B to place A the cruise control sometimes works, but a red light comes on. You changed a light bulb, but you do not think that it had anything to do with my cruise control problem. (I agree!)

It might help if you share the following information:

* What year and model is your BMW motorcycle?
* What speed are you riding when you engage the cruise control?
* Where does the red light appear? Are there any symbols or icons on the display?
* Does the red light turn off when you switch off the cruise control?
* What happens when the cruise control is engaged (red light on) and you actuate the clutch lever? The front brake lever? The rear brake pedal?
* Are you able to test the various switches - cruise, brakes, clutch?

Does everything else work normally?

More details are better. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

cruise

As per the pic the bike is a 2004 K12RS. The red light indicates power to the Cruise switch when it is operated, it is to be found on the switch itself. Speeds of a 100 plus are when it is used. If the brakes or clutch are activated cruise disengages. Everything works normally, including the cruise, sometimes. Thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
As per the pic the bike is a 2004 K12RS. The red light indicates power to the Cruise switch when it is operated, it is to be found on the switch itself. Speeds of a 100 plus are when it is used. If the brakes or clutch are activated cruise disengages. Everything works normally, including the cruise, sometimes. Thanks for the reply
Sorry, the pic is really tiny on my screen.

I am no expert, but my first guess is that one of the switches is shorting out, misadjusted, or out of alignment so the cruise thinks that it should not engage.

I am not familiar with your K12RS, but wonder if there are multiple switches on your brake lever and pedal (one for brake light, the other for the cruise). If true, then the brake light may not show that the cruise switch is activated. I would try to test the brake and clutch lever cruise switches to see if one is shorting out part of the time.

Are you really saying that the cruise works while riding in one direction but not the other? Do you always go at the same times of day - could it be related to morning vs. afternoon temperature differences or parking in the sun all day?

I hope other, wiser minds can join in this conversation...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode