while riding - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2012, 9:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

while riding

do you listen to music ,silence ,earplug's what!!!?while riding ,i listen to my nano or cell phone "slacker radio" mostly heavy rock metal ,while riding almost alway's ,never leave home with out it...just curious.

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Noob

im hoping to get a cb to go on my bike for when I tour cross country... but if I don't do that, I'll definitely just play some music in earbuds when I get bored.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:54 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
do you listen to music ,silence ,earplug's what!!!?while riding ,i listen to my nano or cell phone "slacker radio" mostly heavy rock metal ,while riding almost alway's ,never leave home with out it...just curious.
I put in custom molded earplugs for hearing protection. I had them made at the motorcycle show. I have been on many long rides and it works okay for me. I can "play" music in my head while riding. Sometimes I "compose" my own. Worse yet, sometimes I sing, and it is a good thing that it is contained inside the helmet, or I might get arrested for disturbing the peace.

I would like to have audio in my helmet, but haven't found anything that works. The custom-molded audiophile earphones won't fit under my tight-fitting Shoei X-11 full face helmet. I tried EarFuze and strongly recommend against them - not only does the product suck but their customer support sucks worse.

The problem is that all solutions that work, especially the older hard-wired ones, cost a lot.

I do wish I could hear the GPS audio, take phone calls, and listen to music occasionally. In the end, I would like to find a high quality in-helmet bluetooth audio/microphone solution.

The Schuberth C3 helmet with its electronics option is VERY nice, but VERY expensive. A show-stopper for me is that it turns itself completely off if you are charging the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Addict

i just use a set of small earphone's that came with my phone,nothing blaring or anything ,but i do need the sound especially on the long trips...a good song can also change or alter your riding

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Veteran

never tried it

Never listened to anything much ceptin road noise. However the press is running stories here on the number of fatalities that have occurred with people doing so. Motorcyclists and pedestrians, listening to heavy metal and it really hits em. Yesterday it was a fire truck with lights and sirens going.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
Never listened to anything much ceptin road noise. However the press is running stories here on the number of fatalities that have occurred with people doing so. Motorcyclists and pedestrians, listening to heavy metal and it really hits em. Yesterday it was a fire truck with lights and sirens going.
well like i said never loud enough ,but up enough to enjoy!!!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Noob

I ride with music all the time. I never keep it too loud, and I can hear what I need to. I can hear my bike, I can hear sirens, I can hear louder cars, I can hear horns. It is not an issue for me. The music is much more pleasant to listen to as opposed to loud wind rushing in the helmet. I use in the ear plugs that seem to cut down on my hearing stress.

Past:
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (the First!)
1993 Suzuki GSXR 750
1995 Ducati 900 SS
1998 Suzuki TL1000R
1998 Ducati 916
1993 BMW K1100RS

Present:
1960 Moto Guzzi Lodola
1973 MZ ES 250 mit seitenwagen
1997 Ducati 748
2003 BMW k1200GT
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Addict-oholic

I used my Zumo 550 and earbuds to do music and hear the phone if it rings, no two way communication.

I just switched to the Schuberth helmet with the bluetooth audio. ( my old helmet was getting a little long in the tooth)

I use foam ear plugs to kill the air rush noise. I can listen to music from the Zumo and make or receive the very occasional telephone call. I can still hear sirens and honking, but a lot more muted. The rides have now become longer and better without the air noise fatigue setting in.

I need to find a way to keep the blue tooth and just use my custom earbud speakers instead of the foam plugs

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:58 am

Smile

I have been using molded ear plugs with speakers for years and listen to music or XM radio on most of my rides. I have purchased 2 different sets (back up) from EAR, Inc. in Boulder, CO and they have served me well. They fit easily within my snug fitting helmet. I found that speakers installed in the helmet required me to turn the volume up way to high to override the road noise. I can adjust the volume to a reasonable level and still hear horns, sirens, etc. I have a J&M Integrator IV in my tank bag that collects my IPod, Garmin 665 (XM radio and GPS cues), radar detector, and FRS radio and steers all that audio to my helmet cable with a stereo jack in-line. The regular BMW cable brings the in-helmet microphone into the mix as well. You might want to look at J&M's web site for their offerings.

Denny
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:41 pm

I generally ride in silence, been wearing ear plugs (some to most of the time) for 35 years now. I have tried the bluetooth headsets and it was nice to hear the GPS and/or my wife behind me, I pulled them out and went back to earplugs. I did not listen to music, prefer to make my own in the helmet where its safer than singing in the shower because there people might hear you. I have 2 different custom molded plugs from 2 different companies and neither one of them work as well as my 33db foam ear plugs so that is what I wear. I am pretty observant and I have not had a ambulance sneak up on me yet, I know its not the safest but its the most comfortable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode