Need All Weather Riding Tips - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 7:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Need All Weather Riding Tips

Hello Everyone! So I am getting the new (to me) K1200GT delivered sometime this week I think and I am looking forward to doing some riding. Now, it is cold here lately in New England, but I have good cold weather stuff and the bike has heated seat and grips and good wind protection, so as long as it is not real bad out, I will be OK.

I am sure everyone else sees the dang gas prices are rising again and I really want to save some money commuting. I guess I drive about 250 miles a week and my rides are not fuel efficient (Nissan P/U and Camaro Z-28). I am paying about 100 or so in gas per week and I am sure the GT will be much more fuel efficient.

So as I get ready to take the plunge into all weather riding/commuting (except for snow obviously), what are your tips for enduring relative cold and especially rain? I have always taken immaculate care when it comes to the cleanliness of my bikes and I hate to think what the toll my GT is going to take from continuous riding in the rain. Do you have any tips on how to keep the bike clean? How about rusting problems? As a person who never really got into riding in inclement weather, I have yet to experience what the bike goes through when it is subjected to a lot of rain. Do the BMWs have any special considerations?

And I am looking at a BMW wet weather riding suit, I guess that is one big necessary item.

I sure appreciate everyone's help and thanks in advance for whatever you can share.

Mike

Past:
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (the First!)
1993 Suzuki GSXR 750
1995 Ducati 900 SS
1998 Suzuki TL1000R
1998 Ducati 916
1993 BMW K1100RS

Present:
1960 Moto Guzzi Lodola
1973 MZ ES 250 mit seitenwagen
1997 Ducati 748
2003 BMW k1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 8:26 pm
Addict-oholic

Using heated wear is the way to go in the winter. I use a Gerbing jacket liner. I also have the Gerbing gloves, but very rarely turn on the heat in them as I have heated grips and seat. With a neck gator and my BMW Savanah pants and jacket, i am very comfortable down to 30 degrees, I have been riding all winter this year on a fairly regular basis.
For the days that it really downpours, I put on my one piece BMW rain suit and I am comfy.....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Veteran

rain

I have 55 years riding experience, a lot of it professional. I ride hard wet or dry, but when it starts, repeat, starts to rain I take it easy. The BM will not suffer from the wet, (unless it is salt) I love riding in the rain and Tyre adhesion is almost as good on a constantly wet red as in the dry. Part of our training involved scraping the bitumen in the wet, no probs. A warm summer day when it starts to rain watch out for the grip, the dust is washing off the tarmac. If you live in an area where they repair bitumen road with tar, avoid it like the plague. Concrete is fine, but some areas have bitumen and they patch with tar and that is like glass, and in the wet lethal. As for looking after your bike. Rain sure wont hurt it. Wash it when there are a few sunny days ahead. Saves the duco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:22 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper34
Hello Everyone! So I am getting the new (to me) K1200GT delivered sometime this week I think and I am looking forward to doing some riding. Now, it is cold here lately in New England, but I have good cold weather stuff and the bike has heated seat and grips and good wind protection, so as long as it is not real bad out, I will be OK.

I am sure everyone else sees the dang gas prices are rising again and I really want to save some money commuting. I guess I drive about 250 miles a week and my rides are not fuel efficient (Nissan P/U and Camaro Z-28). I am paying about 100 or so in gas per week and I am sure the GT will be much more fuel efficient.

So as I get ready to take the plunge into all weather riding/commuting (except for snow obviously), what are your tips for enduring relative cold and especially rain? I have always taken immaculate care when it comes to the cleanliness of my bikes and I hate to think what the toll my GT is going to take from continuous riding in the rain. Do you have any tips on how to keep the bike clean? How about rusting problems? As a person who never really got into riding in inclement weather, I have yet to experience what the bike goes through when it is subjected to a lot of rain. Do the BMWs have any special considerations?

And I am looking at a BMW wet weather riding suit, I guess that is one big necessary item.

I sure appreciate everyone's help and thanks in advance for whatever you can share.

Mike
Mike --

I wonder if you will experience much of a net cost savings riding your KGT vs. one of the cars. It is true that you will get much better gas mileage, but your costs for tires and maintenance are fairly high on the GT, especially if you have the dealer do the work. The fun factor is certainly there.

I have ridden my 2007 K1200GT long hours in very heavy rain without issues. KGTs do well in the rain. Wet gloves are one problem - try wearing pure silk glove liners to make it easier to put them on and take them off.

Have you considered applying the vinyl "skins" over your plastic? They are expensive, but the ones I have seen are invisible (when professionally applied) and do a great job.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper34

So as I get ready to take the plunge into all weather riding/commuting (except for snow obviously), what are your tips for enduring relative cold and especially rain?

Mike
Hi Mike,
I ride year around here in coastal Virginia, that is whenever ice is not an issue.

Whenever it gets below 40 I use Gerbings electric gloves along with a Tourmaster heated vest along with my heated grips. I've found my Cortech Caliber pants with silk underwear keeps my legs warm and dry while the Hein Gericke adventure jacket with Sheltex liner with a silk top keeps my arms and torso warm. Feet stay warm and dry with good motorcycle boots that have waterproof liners.

While at first look, gear to keep you warm and dry can be quite expensive but if you shop for closeouts and last year's model the prices can be reasonable. I would not go cheap in quality, in my experience there is a big difference in riding comfort when using good riding gear made for motorcycles vice that for everyday use.

Also... I bought a Nolan helmet at the BMWMOA Rally that included a Pinlock anti-fog visor. What a difference, no fogging and no need to crack the shield open.

Ride safe...

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 1:09 am
Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
I have 55 years riding experience, a lot of it professional. I ride hard wet or dry, but when it starts, repeat, starts to rain I take it easy. The BM will not suffer from the wet, (unless it is salt) I love riding in the rain and Tyre adhesion is almost as good on a constantly wet red as in the dry. Part of our training involved scraping the bitumen in the wet, no probs. A warm summer day when it starts to rain watch out for the grip, the dust is washing off the tarmac. If you live in an area where they repair bitumen road with tar, avoid it like the plague. Concrete is fine, but some areas have bitumen and they patch with tar and that is like glass, and in the wet lethal. As for looking after your bike. Rain sure wont hurt it. Wash it when there are a few sunny days ahead. Saves the duco.
Pap,are you like,90 years old???
Ditto avoid the tar snakes and use the Gerbings.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:13 am
Addict

On other bikes when I was younger I used to ride in everything, because bikes were my only transport.

Now I appreciate the best time and weather to get pleasure from the bike, avoid really cold wet weather and choose the car. Perhaps I'm just paranoid about dropping the bike on ice and the high cost of repairs both to the bike and my med bills. Repairs to the bike are somewhat predictable, but med outcomes as I get older are not.

Another thing I've found over time is if you ride the same transport for a long time every day, you can get bored riding/driving. My KRS is for pleasure not commute, so the downtime when I don't ride is more than compensated for the good weather rides. I can see why some ride a lesser 'bad weather bike' for commutes and keep the nice bike for better times.

I have 3 sets of gear - Mesh for really hot Summer, textile for mid average temperatures and thick heavy leather for Winter. Gloves also from lightweight breathable to the sub zero insulated mittens.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:57 am
Noob

I don't know how the winter roads culture in youre area are, but in south Sweden, are salty, roads wich definetly afects the parts of the vehicle, so if is a bmw or audi , the salt will rust the metal surfaces slowly... in my KRS are signs of rust on the rear suspention. The gas prices are high, yes, I use my corsa B vehicle for shoping, and I get to work by bicycle (not motor) and the "oeresund train" to Copenhagen
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 9:54 am
Addict

If you are looking for salt corrosion, check the center stand mounting 'pillars'. These are hollow supports cast into the bottom of the tranni and hold the center stand. Being hollow, they easily trap salt water and you get electrolytic reaction between the ali casting and the steel stand bolts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 1:54 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr451
Pap,are you like,90 years old???
Ditto avoid the tar snakes and use the Gerbings.
73 actually. been riding since 15 so that makes it 58 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode