Strange question - using GPS in a plane... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2012, 9:18 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Strange question - using GPS in a plane...

I fly in commercial planes a lot and always get window seats to look at the country below. I would love to be able to get an accurate fix on where we are at any given time, for instance today as I flew Philly to Houston and on to LA.

Have any of you tried your bike's GPS in a plane and if so, what help was it to pinpointing your location?

TIA

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2012, 4:08 am
Addict

I have TomTom on an old HP PDA running WINCE. It uses a remote bluetooth credit card GPS receiver/antenna.

It may work up against the window.

Roads can flash past at the realtime speed of the plane as indicated and your route takes you across roads fields and over bridges very quickly!

Don't expect it to show you accurate route planning, distances to towns and the nearest MacDonalds, because the mapping you see is 'as the crow flies' not along roads. Sea and lake areas will show. Garmin do laptop mapping software and their 'Topo' topographical maps which show landscape features would be interesting.

However, I don't think in CAA terms that a satnav has what they call 'flight safe' mode - Which is their way of saying only devices that don't interfere with cockpit avionics can be used.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:15 am.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2012, 1:20 pm
Looking for better limits...

I have a Garmin 276c (discontinued) that I've used once or twice for amusement on a commercial flight. I put it in marine mode and it tells me where I'm at and how fast I'm flying. Not sure if it'll raise the hackles of the flight attendants as a radio device that will cause all the vital instruments in the cockpit to reboot or die.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Veteran

Gps

QANTAS has a booklet which includes a map. I like to navigate using my watch, and once a GPS, Cabin crew were not bothered when they realised it was not a mobile phone. I like to know exactly where I am on the planet, part of my marine training. Cabin crew never know and do not care much.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2012, 8:33 pm
Enthusiast

I used to fly weekly when I was an AMA pro racing mechanic. I normally carried my old Garmin GPS 5 to keep me informed on our spot on this earth. Worked well and never had any problem except a few times the stewardess ladies would ask me to turn it off IF they noticed.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:54 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone... looks like its a goer then. I just want to get a general location. I see some great area and it would be nice to know the general location so I can research further for riding.

Ralph

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2012, 6:25 am
Addict

If I'm up at 40,000 feet, It's hard to make out much ground detail even on a clear day, unless the clouds base is high.

If you are on one of the smaller city jets or turbo props flying below cloud, you could get a decent birds eye view.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2012, 7:58 am

Your MAX speed readout would make for some good bragging rights.

Ron Cooper

91 K75RT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2012, 11:59 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
If I'm up at 40,000 feet, It's hard to make out much ground detail even on a clear day, unless the clouds base is high.

If you are on one of the smaller city jets or turbo props flying below cloud, you could get a decent birds eye view.
Maybe your experience, but I have flown across/around the US several hundred times and on many, many occasions have had excellent views with plenty of detail of some/all of the flightpath. Even on flights across the Pacific I don't feel they get to 40k very often (never in my experience - start at about 30k then gradually rise as they burn off fuel), short jumps to about 25k, longer flights yes, above 30k. Height does tend to flatten and reduce detail agreed, Clouds can be a factor, but I don't think as persistent as in Europe.

A clear flight Philadelphia to San Francisco (say) is a joy in terms of the variety and staggering scale of the country you pass over - this is a 5+ hour flight, most of the country is accessible on a touring bike to a determined rider whatever their base location. For instance, flying over canyon country in Utah/Nevada or the Rockies etc was very motivating/inspirational for me and resulted in some memorable trips even though I was based on the east coast for many years.

Ralph

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2012, 4:41 pm
Addict

That's the thing about sharing our international experiences. We learn a lot about the different parts where we each live. Weather in Europe our side of the pond is mostly pretty dull and wet so when the short hauls manage to get above the cloud base, we get the sunshine but don't see much below.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode