Need Advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2012, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Smile Need Advice

I've been looking for a relatively light weight retracting device (similar to an air hose reel) for me battery tender. I'm interested in mounting it to the ceiling above where I park my GT so it's easy to pull down and retract when not using it. I found a fishing option, but the tether is too short and it has no ratchet tool. I've looked at many options in the Portland/Vancouver area with no success. Anybody have success in finding something like that? Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Denny
Ridgefield, WA
09 K1300 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Addict

Why use a reel?

If you take the wire across the underside of the roof and down one wall through a small pulley wheel or even an eye bolt, then put a small weight on the end, it will take itself up to the roof when you let it go. If you want it dangling down a bit, just put a stop in the wire. You should use a wire with good flexibility and lots of strands.

That's a lot simpler and more reliable than a rotating plastic cassette with springs to go wrong and tensions to set up. I've been using that trick with a heavier weight on a hinged trap door to my roof for 20 years.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 1:36 pm
Noob

Smile Retractable Charging

I agree with the last reply regarding this question. Simple and a little MC Giverish works all the time. Think about a good tool bag. It should have every thing from high tech to chewing gum in the foil.
Regarding the fishing thought; There are some self reeling fly reals made in the sixty's marketed by Penny's you can find on E bay that will handle the wire for the three amps required for maintenance;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode