Spectacles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2012, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Spectacles

For the first time i now have to wear glasses for driving/riding and have trouble with them slipping down during riding. Has anyone any tips to prevent this happening. I use a full face helmet so have to put on glasses with helmet already on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Rookie

OK, this is a real pain for you, but my guess is those people that wear glasses all the time have solved these problems some time ago, so don't despair, a solution will come.
1. Wear light-framed glasses... the heavier they are, the greater the tendency to slip down. When I put on clip ons for sun glasses, the extra weight greatly increases the tendency to slip.
2. Keep the two nose 'pads' scrupulously clean. Clean them before getting on the bike, clean at every stop. To clean, you need something that dissolves oils, like metho or soap/detergent-based cleaner. I would also say, keep lenses scrupulously clean, before starting and every stop if necessary... this will stop you unconsciously altering their position to avoid a bad patch on the lens.
3. Keep the skin where the pads sit very clean, if necessary every stop and before starting. This means clean pads sit on clean skin and it grips really well.
4. Make sure the glasses fit/sit really well so you don't have to keep minutely adjusting by scrunching up your face to alter their position slightly, or push with your finger.
5. Resist the urge to shift them around. Once sitting propoerly, clean pads on clean skin, they can kinda bind slightly, and this holds them in place.
6. Keep ventilation to the face area 'tuned', so you don't have to alter glasses to offset humidity or water getting in... you don't want to touch the glasses.
7. Solve the sun problem... sun direct in can cause you to do all sorts of things, unusual helmet angles, face scrunching, rapid helmet movement... all of these may unseat the glasses. I wear sunnies in good weather (I guess that's pretty unusual over there in blighty :-)). I also have a strip of masking tape across the top of my visor which, while reducing the upper vision slightly, allows me to control the sun totally in about 98% of the cases (slight head tilt and its all blocked out). All helping to stop the effects of sun and flow-on consequences.
8. Make sure glasses don't touch your helmet in the forward part of the glasses. You can't stop them back around the ears because this is one of the pressure points and in fact help hold the glasses steady, but if they touch intermittently forward, this will upset the binding.

I have over analyzed it a bit here and made it sound quite an ordeal, but as all glasses wearers know, most of this is almost subconscious. The worst conditions for glasses - hot, very wet weather when you have been on the bike for hours and lost proper control over the visor fogging... OMG what a pain, I have had to stop just to do a complete cleandown of face, glasses and visor in those conditions.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Noob

Smile

There must be some solutions ... I think : 1. if you are overweight, it may cause the fall of the glasses because you are sweating.
2. If you are not fat boy, so go back to your optician , and say to him to fix those glasses. Remeber to bring the helmne. best, Tibi

Last edited by tibike; Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Noob

To : Longwayfromhome

...and how dit you made this paste/copy? dit you usually use galsses ?

Last edited by tibike; Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:09 pm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2012, 9:38 pm
Addict-oholic

20 years of riding with glasses.

After screwing around with a full face helmet, i switched to flip ups which are much more manageable.
I have a lightweight frame ( silhouette or similar) that have a lot of give on the side frames. I made the ear hook a bit straighter. So, I put on the helmet and then slip on the glasses. They don't slide...

I have another pair that has a mored definite ear hook. I put the glasses on and then put on the helmet pulling the cheek straps as far apart as possible, slipping the helmet on and readjusting the glasses.

Both methods work well for me.

Make sure that your nose pads are adjusted properly by the optometrist so they don't slide easily.

You will get used to it in 10 years

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2012, 7:36 am
Addict

A few years back I had the same problem and hated the side vision obstruction from most frames and sometimes the fogging over.

At the time I 'learned' how to wear contact lenses which took a couple of months. Provided you keep the visor down they didn't dry out as most said they might, there is no fogging and you get surprisingly better depth of focus than with specs and look around vision is not restricted. Although I sacrifice some near vision correction and the speedo is not so easy to read!

These days for short rides I use a thin frame lightweight spec which I can easily poke either side of the foam cushion in my helmet after putting it on. Most decent full face helmets these days have a little sculptoring of the foam in those places just for specs. Look at the different brands next time you buy a helmet. If I know I will be doing a longish ride I now wear daily contact lenses, but always carry the specs with me just in case because if you do get an issue with a contact, you can take it out at the next pit stop and ride on with specs.

I've also been looking at flipups, but am not sure how quiet they are for high speed cruising for long periods, compared to the much smoother aerodynamics if the Sport full face helmet.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:58 am
Veteran

There are some aviation frames that are sort of wide and cops seem to like them too. The metal is some flexible stuff that has memory (Twistoflex?). I can put them on wide through the opening of the Shoei X12 or use a Shoei Mutlitec and not need to remove them since it is a flip-up. The frames spring into position very easily. I reuse the frames (they are expensive!) and rotate them to send out for the tinted gray every Rx event for new clear lenses.

Between the two helmets, the Shoei Multitec is the much quieter one for me rather than the Shoei X12 full-face which is far nosier for some reason. I suspect some full-face helmets set up wind turbulence really bad inside them, even more than some beanies the Harley guys wear which seems odd.

On the S1000RR with little wind protection, the full-face is very noisy and I even turned around and went home once to get the flip-up as the freeway wind noise was ringing my ears after about 4 miles without any plugs. I also have a pair of his & hers Nolan N-103 flip-ups with all the BlueTooth nonsense and it is also very noisy to the point I have to turn the Blue-Tooth up all the way and then the battery is dead in 3 hours and it takes another 3 to charge it back up. Worse if both go down or one fails before the other. I went back to wired via Autocom Pro AVI with custom in-ear plugs (UE-11 musician;s monitors) which are much better overall with audiophile sound quality too.

Mack
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegoat
For the first time i now have to wear glasses for driving/riding and have trouble with them slipping down during riding. Has anyone any tips to prevent this happening. I use a full face helmet so have to put on glasses with helmet already on.
I have always worn a full face helmet, but have not had problems with glasses staying put. The helmet pads are snug against the eyeglasses frames by my ears and hold them in place. The pressure is very gentle and not at all uncomfortable. If I wanted, I could ride with the eyeglasses frame bridge hovering just above my nose and not really touching it.

My newest eyeglass frames have straight earpieces. The previous frames have a slight curvature behind the ear. I do not like earpieces that curve very much around my ears, but a slight curvature is fine. In case it matters, I need slightly longer than normal earpieces on my eyeglass frames.

I have worn Shoei full face helmets for about 30 years. My current helmet is a Shoei X-Eleven. I will probably buy a modular helmet when this one is ready to be replaced in a year or so.

This might be a stupid question, but could your helmet be too loose? Can you rotate it left and right easily without moving your head?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Enthusiast

Saftey Glasses

I have no problem useing tianium framed saftey glasses + you have the added saftey or protection .mine look like aviators sunglasses with silicon nose pads .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:01 pm
Rookie

Been wearing glasses for 50+ years, riding for about 40. Have been wearing a full face (mostly Bells, cause they fit me well and they are Snell approved), all the above advice is outstanding. One thing I found is they make several differnt types of nose pads, you can get "sticky" ones as opposed to harder plastic ones. The softer sticky ones work better, but sweat and sunscreen will make even them slip.

I guess get used to adjusting them in motion, as it is part of the pain of glasses.

Better than not seeing thou.

2008 FLHT
2008 R1200RT
1985 K100 RT
1979 XS 650 Street tracker
Ridden everything,owned lots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode