5 year rule - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Addict

5 year rule

was at the dealer yesterday looking at purchasing a bluetooth for the helment,when the dealer looked at my helment (parts guy) he lol'd and said how old is that helment,i said a few yrs old ,he lol'd ,i guess i've had the helment since 2004..lol dam thing is like an ol pair of jean's plus i dont crash anyway's (lol cough cough, knock on wood )so whats the big deal ....i was just wondering if you guy's replace your helment every 5 year's like they suggested or just keep the same one like an ol pair of jean's..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:49 am Thread Starter
Addict

they basicly say the material break's down and you loose support and integrity of the helment over time..

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:53 am
Enthusiast

Funnily enough, Tyre manufacturers say the same, 5 year shelf life.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:26 pm
Addict

They have to cover their a**ses because once an item of safety equipment is sold, there is no control over its use or storage which could cause the original materials to degrade. Remember helmets are tested and certified on a new item. I bet you won't find anybody who has tested the same helmet several years down the line who will tell you if it still meets the spec. or not.

The way the legals are written these days, you can more or less expect manufacturers to waiver any responsibility the first time a helmet is worn.

Material using lightweight polyester/polycarbonate and carbon fibre with polyester compounds might degrade under certain circumstances. Ultra violet is one of them, also being gouged or dropped. If these materials are submerged in water for long periods they are likely to weaken. How often do you do that?

I'm glad I didn't think I had to replace my glassfiber boat after 5 years, when I bought it 15 years ago - that has a composite hull which takes a hell of a pounding.

I suspect the problem with helmets has less to do with the shell if you look after it and more to do with deteriation of the holding straps, buckles and where they attach.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2012, 9:47 am
Veteran

I have been wearing Shoei helmets for 30+ years. Some years ago, I learned that they offer a free helmet inspection service. Since I moved back to Southern California, where their US headquarters are located, I have taken advantage of that free service several times.

Having used that service several times, I learned a few things from them:

1. They recommend replacing helmets ever five years. There is an age limit where they won't certify a helmet, period. I believe that age is seven years. (By the way, they make you sign a form acknowledging their inspection. You can't claim later that you didn't know your helmet had an issue if they find one.)

2. According to Shoei, a helmet's life-saving, shock absorbing materials lose their protective abilities over time. The primary cause is exposure to the stuff in the rider's hair - perspiration in particular, but also chemicals from shampoos, conditioners, sprays, colognes, etc. Ambient air pollutants also contribute. Washing your helmet liner frequently will slow that deterioration down.

3. Shoei frequently finds latent damage to the helmet's shock absorbing materials during their inspections. They found it in one of my helmets, so I replaced it soon after. A common cause is exposure to heat. In the case of my helmet, I believe it was that the helmet lock on the side of the motorcycle put the helmet too close to the muffler after riding.

4. Casually dropping a helmet is usually not the cause of latent damage, just cosmetic damage to the paint.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2012, 5:12 pm

My last helmet was probably 7 years old when replaced, but it was stored for at least 3 of those. I probably won't go that long again.

I once heard the following reference. The EPS foam in most helmets can be considered similar to a styrofoam coffee cup. How do those look after a few years? Would you trust your noggin' to it? How much is the cost of the helmet spread over those 5 years?

I was happy enough with my old helmet, but I was even happier with the new model.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2012, 7:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

ya i'm going to get a new helment ,and hook it up with bluetooth and all that ,i'm sure i'll be ok...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Rookie

I usually replace helmets after 2 or 3 years. The styrofoam liner is the reason. It only last so long and does compact over time. I think Nolan's, which I am currently wearing, have a 5 year warranty, and at right at 3 years old it is still holding up really well. With the current prices, I will probably think about replacing it at about the 4 year point.

TexSon
1979 R65
2007 K1200GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2012, 5:28 pm

I daily ride so I replace my helmets often, I have often been told of the 5 year rule but after 3 or 4 years I don't want to put my head in that helmet anymore

For my wife it about 6 or 7 years between helmets since she does not ride with me often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode