New Guy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 3:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New Guy

Hi my name is Ron. I live in Buffalo,NY. I just purchase a 1998 k1200rs with 110,000 miles on it. Anything I should look out for in my first few rides rides? Because I am picking it up Saturday and plan to ride it over 400 miles on my 1st ride. Had a k75 many years ago. Rode it like I stole it and it had almost 90k on it when I sold it. Just sold an airhead with over 200k on it. Had an 83 Fjr1100 almost lost my license because of it this was in 84 . The fastest bike I ever own was a CBR1100XX. Any feedback on the k1200rs would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 9:19 pm
Addict

welcome and post some pic's of your bike..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-in-Buffalo
Hi my name is Ron. I live in Buffalo,NY. I just purchase a 1998 k1200rs with 110,000 miles on it. Anything I should look out for in my first few rides rides? Because I am picking it up Saturday and plan to ride it over 400 miles on my 1st ride. Had a k75 many years ago. Rode it like I stole it and it had almost 90k on it when I sold it. Just sold an airhead with over 200k on it. Had an 83 Fjr1100 almost lost my license because of it this was in 84 . The fastest bike I ever own was a CBR1100XX. Any feedback on the k1200rs would be appreciated.
Ron,

I've owned a '91 K1 and an '04 K1200RS and really liked both bikes (wish I'd have kept the '04 KRS!).

Keep an eye out for oil seepage in the final drive and where the engine and transmission connect. The KRS model line has a reputation for the rear main seal (other riders, please correct my nomenclature) going bad and polluting the clutch assembly. As for the final drive make sure you get the bike up on its center stand and then grasp the rear wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to see if you have any play in the assembly. If you do that may mean imminent bearing failure.

There's lots of info both here and on the i-bmw web site that'll give you mucho info on your bike.

In the meantime welcome to the site, enjoy your new wheels and ride safe!

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode