Help me find my next bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Help me find my next bike

I am seeking your input. I have no idea what to do. The situation I'm in is somewhat complex. I have a '01 K1200RS. I really like it and have discovered that I'm quite spoiled. I'm aware that there will be a bias toward what I know and what I'm used to. I wouldn't be looking to get rid of it other than it needs more work than its worth. I bought the bike in late '08 second hand and it had been laid down. The ABS doesn't work (I'm ok with that part). 3k fix, unnecessary I know. It needs a rear main seal. Leak is slow I've been living with it. 2k fix. right fairing should be replaced if I ever want a respectable looking bike, and lately the turn signal pods thingy's are falling off. I hate those things. So I had an offer for someone to buy the bike for $1200. Geez I could part the thing out for more than that. I don't think its worth me spending the money to fix.

I've been on some demo rides lately. Ducati diavel, 848, honda vfr800, and the one I thought I would really love, the '09 K1300s. I had some major issues. its Orange. It started to grow on me but still orange. It felt too far from foot peg to shifter. My knees were really uncomfortable. Not because I thought the pegs should be lowered but the insides were hitting that black plastic piece by the frame that conects to the fairing, The stock pipe sounds terrible. Seat and tank are waging war against my crotch! I thought the overall riding position was good as far as back alignment and pressure on my wrists but can't imagine living with the shifter and seat tank combo. The clutch is different, thought I would love it now settle for live with it. No luggage, no ESA, 10,900 I don't know what to do. I wonder if I would like the s1000rr. I commute 23 miles each way to work on interstate. I would be interested in occasional track days but afraid to wreck such an expensive bike. There is a 2010 VFR 1200 at the local dealer new. 16k bike for 9.9. I'm seriously considering but can't test ride as its new. Anyone have some ideas to offer. Any experience with Honda's new VFR? The magazine rider's seem to like it better than the beemer. I'm seriously confused. To top it all off my wife is getting licensed this year and maybe shopping for a bike. This makes me want to spend less. Maybe I need an '02 or later RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Rookie

Buck, check out my bike, a 2003 K1200GT, which I have for sale on this site and others. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Larry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Enthusiast

If you do the rear seal&clutch yourself, it is under $500. Fairing panels can be purchased off ebay, and repainted,repaired,etc. If you like the bike, it may be worth fixing yourself. If you need the dealer to do these repairs, buy a new bike, or a newer K1200GT/RS.

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 10:14 pm
Enthusiast

I have an '00K12RS and an '09 K13S. I am 6' with a 33" inseam, 180lbs. I can only figure the Lava Orange bike you are/were looking at has an aftermarket seat or you are scrunching yourself up to the tank, or you have REALLY long thighs.... Sitting flat on the ground, yes, the seat may seem to want you that far up, but when moving, I have no such issues. I have plenty of room in my normal sitting position and can move back an inch or two whenever I want. I would have to rotate and get as far into the tank as possible to actually contact the fairing support and that would only be one side. I have the shift assist, but my understanding is the shifter piece is in the same spot, no problems with riding boots of size 12 here, seems to be in the same spot as on my RS, did the current owner adjust it?
With regard to your dilemma.....I did the full rear seal deal myself on my RS, at 96k. As noted, cost was less than $500 and included a new clutch, had the trans input seal pressed in by the local dealer, the reinstalled it all with the new clutch slave - the culprit that time around. It took a while and you have to have all the tools and the space, but it is worth it. If you are really happy with the K12 you have and have the facilities and are a decent wrench, it sounds as though you might be happiest going that route.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode