Fairing Removal HELP ! ! ! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2012, 8:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

Fairing Removal HELP ! ! !

The Clymers manual isnt too specific on where to start removal of the fairing on a 2003 K1200 GT. Can someone help me in determining where to start? I've asked my local shop and they seem very reluctant to share the information. I dont want to rebuild the motor or anything, they can have big jobs like that. But I would like to be able to at least change spark plug wires and the like,,,
If I could just figure out where and how to start I'm sure I could figure out the rest without having to pay 95 bucks an hour shop fees.
ANY help would be a great birthday present to me today.
MANY THANKS in advance Guys.
Respectfully, Mike Griff, Tampa Florida.
[email protected]

03 k12 GT
1980 R 100/7
1974 R 90/6 (yup, I'm that old to have had a new one).
--- always remember ---
"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2012, 9:37 am
Addict

if no quick response try google!!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2012, 11:55 am
Veteran

Look there, post 51:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...5&page=6&pp=10

Don't know about replacing the spark plug wires, altough I had 2 bad ones they can easily be checked with an Ohmeter, should all be in the 5K range. But check them at different "bends" mine were sort of intermittent, showed good when bent in operating position but not when laid straight so that puzzled me for a while.

Euromotoelectrics has replacements for a lot less than BMW.

And.....Happy Birthday, looks like you share one with my sister.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancoramike
The Clymers manual isnt too specific on where to start removal of the fairing on a 2003 K1200 GT. Can someone help me in determining where to start? I've asked my local shop and they seem very reluctant to share the information. I dont want to rebuild the motor or anything, they can have big jobs like that. But I would like to be able to at least change spark plug wires and the like,,,
If I could just figure out where and how to start I'm sure I could figure out the rest without having to pay 95 bucks an hour shop fees.
ANY help would be a great birthday present to me today.
MANY THANKS in advance Guys.
Respectfully, Mike Griff, Tampa Florida.
[email protected]
I have not read all the way through the thread link H posted but there are two important things. First is you need to get yourself a torx or hex driver (depending on your screws), about 150mm long on a screwdriver type rubber handle. You will use it a lot!

Second, there can be a big issue removing the large left and right plastic panels which are very expensive. There is a steel tapered peg about 1/2 way down and towards the rear. The Plastic panel has a rubber ring held in it which can be a very tight fit over the peg. You have to feel around and inside the rear edge of the panel below the tank and lift it away from the peg first - and it can be held quite strong. The top of the panel 'hangs' around the groove in the center tank panel on plastic location pegs in the side panel, so the side panels have to first lifted outwards to clear the steel peg on the frame, then upwards to get it clear of the groove in the tank center trim. Before you refit the panel, grease the rubber ring so it can slide over the peg and come off easier next time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 10:04 pm
Addict

fairing removal

I have a K1200GT 2004,great bike,much like yours,I am sure.Fairing removal is not that difficult,like Vox says,be careful with the non screw fasteners,they are not invisible,but they are not obvious either.The plastic clippy bits pop off then back on very positively and satisfyingly when you have done it right.Do not reef and wrench or use tools to pry on those,not necessary.Which screw goes where is somewhat important,so I recommend a system for marking which screw goes in which hole.There are a couple of different head sizes and lengths.

I do not fancy myself a wrench,but I have managed the entire fairing off and on a couple of times.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 10:12 pm
Addict

Mike, too long to post. If you want call me tonight-im in Ca, and i'll walk u thru it. 4157488724

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode