Flying with electric gear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

Flying with electric gear

My GF and I are buying a SWEEEEEEET K1100LT! Absolutely gorgus! We can't wait. LOTS of miles to put under her yet and she will be PERFECT for the Officiating I do for bike races! Worlds in Richmond in 2015! YAY!

Anyway, the bike is in Grand Rapids Michigan. I'll be Flying in and driving back to Fauquier County VA in late FEB early March. Has anyone had experience flying with electric gear? I'll be carrying it on and will have to go through the TSA goons. I once got a full pat down cuz I had two yogurts each one ounce over the limit....UGH...

Will a vest and electric pants go through? or will they consider it material for a bomb or something?

I've thought about sending the electric gear ahead via UPS. Its not expensive and may save some hassle.

Thoughts? Flames?
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I don't recall anything specific on the TSA website addressing items like this but you will most certainly get some attention when those puppies go through the x-ray!

Might just be worthwhile sending them ahead vis USPS Priority Mail box to avoid any potential issues. Guidelines on a website don't equal rational thinking in the airport...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
It might not be a good idea to pick up the bike and ride it home the end of February, or first of March from Grand Rapids. (I live in a Grand Rapids suburb.)

1. Usually there is still a lot of salt on the roads, no matter how well you wash it when you get home, you will get corrosion.
2. We still get snow into late March, even worst we get freezing rain during that period.
3. April is a better month.

I looked at my ride books, the earliest, l have been able to ride consistantly 3 or more days a week without salt on the roads or snow was April 12, 2009

Rode to work once in April and had to leave the bike at work and get a ride home because of an unpredicted snowstorm it was almost a week before the roads were good enough to ride the bike home. At least I got to keep the bike inside the building (wanted the lobby, settled for the shipping/receiving area )

You might get lucky though
I would look to come up after a WARM rain storm before it snows again.
Least cost flights are from BWI (Baltimore)

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Last edited by aj7840; Jan 14th, 2013 at 7:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
the TSA at BWI sometimes are not too critical (there is a story here )

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Last edited by aj7840; Jan 14th, 2013 at 7:35 pm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2013, 5:16 pm
Noob

I've had gone through security with my Glow Rider jacket and didn't have any issue with it. Granted, it probably doesn't have as many wires as heated gear, but still had plenty of wires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode