Insurance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Insurance

Here's a plug for Foremost Insurance, Grand Rapids.

I've had minimum coverage Progressive Insurance for my bike for ten years. In July 2010 I was on a three day ride with six other bikes. We were in Northern California and we were all hot and tired. The lead bike turned into a deserted parking lot and we all in-trailed behind him, making a large circle turn at about a walking pace inside the parking lot. The guy in front of me stopped before I expected him to, and as a result I stopped before I was ready. I was heavily loaded and slightly top-heavy, and I fell over. It turned into a roughly $1,200 insurance claim, which Progressive promptly paid. ALSO, they promptly raised my rates dramatically for the next year. I told them I would be looking for another carrier if they continued to punish me for the one claim, and they apparently didn't care, because I got the bill for the next year (starting in mid-March for me), and the high rate is going to continue...$580 for minimum coverage.

I checked around, and got higher liability coverage and all the rest the same for $330 from Foremost. I don't know anything about the company, but it's a relief to be able to tell Progressive to pound sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2013, 3:52 pm

Yup - Progressive wasn't interested in leaving a lipstick mark on my a$$ years ago... I was with them and had a Chrysler LaBaron convertible (go ahead and laugh I was in my 20's then) that they suddenly realized they didn't insure convertibles...

Really? You've had my VIN and information for 2 years while you've insured me and now you suddenly don't insure the car?

Good riddens!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2013, 7:36 pm
Enthusiast

I'm happy with progressive. My GT fell over in a gravel parking lot with about $1200 damage to it, also. They promptly fixed it with new parts and my rates have gone down every year for being a "good" rider since then (3-4 years ago). Perhaps there are other factor's like your driving record? Speeding tickets, etc.

I had Dairyland for 10 years with no claims, but they would not insure my Suzuki 1100 katana, which pissed me off. And, only GEICO has ever raised my rates after one accident in a VW Scirocco.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 9:10 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
I'm happy with progressive. My GT fell over in a gravel parking lot with about $1200 damage to it, also. They promptly fixed it with new parts and my rates have gone down every year for being a "good" rider since then (3-4 years ago). Perhaps there are other factor's like your driving record? Speeding tickets, etc. .
Fell over as opposed to being ridden and dropped, I suppose is the difference. No tickets. No other factors. Loyalty discount, good rider discount. Looking back, I suppose I could have lied and told them my bike fell over while on the sidestand, and they wouldn't have considered that my fault. But I don't like being a liar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 9:42 am
Addict

insurance companies all suck i am loyal to none .i shop around every 2 years usually but for the bike Safeco seem's to have the best rate for me

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 9:05 am
Addict-oholic

And I have nothing but great thing to say about Progressive. 20 years ago, my bike was knocked over in a parking lot and I had 5 or 6 hundred dollars of damage. No problems..

5 years ago my 1200GT was severly plastic damaged when I dropped the bike in a ner miss with a deer. At first, they wanted me to go to their "repair"shop. I insisted on BMW Danbury. They agreed. Since, the bike was a few months old, the dealer replaced every part that even had a scuff on it. Progressive had no problem sending me a check for $3500.00. I recouped a little by selling the salveagble parts on e-bay and to Beemer Boneyard.
Since then, I get all sorts of credits for safe driving and longevity.. My total premium is about $500 in suburban NYC for a 75 year old driver, me. with 100/300 and all the max coverage with $1K deductible. Even includes towing..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 9:39 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
And I have nothing but great thing to say about Progressive. 20 years ago, my bike was knocked over in a parking lot and I had 5 or 6 hundred dollars of damage. No problems..

5 years ago my 1200GT was severly plastic damaged when I dropped the bike in a ner miss with a deer. At first, they wanted me to go to their "repair"shop. I insisted on BMW Danbury. They agreed. Since, the bike was a few months old, the dealer replaced every part that even had a scuff on it. Progressive had no problem sending me a check for $3500.00. I recouped a little by selling the salveagble parts on e-bay and to Beemer Boneyard.
Since then, I get all sorts of credits for safe driving and longevity.. My total premium is about $500 in suburban NYC for a 75 year old driver, me. with 100/300 and all the max coverage with $1K deductible. Even includes towing..
i'm in california my premium is 418 A YEAR with safeco and with a 500 deduct with all the max ,but i still shop around and alway's save
Proggresive is awesome as they have my boat and when a 3ooo window broke from a rock they covered it and i havent even paid that since owning the boat as that coverage is only 200 per year but they raised it 40.00 then next year but still are the cheapist for the boat..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:44 am

My motorcycle policy is with State Farm here in NY and my premium for a year is $219.18 and my coverages are as follows:

Bodily Injury (250,000/500,000)
Property Damage 100,000)
Personal Injury Protection
250 Deductible Comprehensive
500 Deductible Collision
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000)

I get a pretty hefty discount because my cars, camper, motorcycle, house, life and business insurance are all through State Farm. I just finished an online defensive driver course so that 10% discount hasn't been applied to my policies yet.
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT

Last edited by NikonJeff; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 11:06 am.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:22 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

For all of you who are happy with Progressive, I'm glad for you. I was happy with their service, just not with their rate-jacking after one relatively small claim in a decade of paying premiums.

I guess the take away from this thread is it pays to shop around!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode