Riding Shoes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2013, 1:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

Riding Shoes

I am a little embarrassed to be asking such a question, but my old Harley boots are not a fit for my 03-KGT. Rather than using tennis shoes, does anyone have a preference to a type/brand of shoe?

I want to be able to walk around comfortably while on trips as well as having protection.

Honda S90 - 16
Kawasaki 175
BSA GoldStar
Honda 550
Kawasaki Vulcan
Harley Wide Glide
Harley Electric Glide Classic
Harley Night Train-Current
BMW K1200GT-Current
my wife said STOP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2013, 1:33 am
Enthusiast

There are plenty of non-race style motorcycle boots/shoes about.

I see plenty of guys wearing trainers and such like in the summer months but it horrifies me, Ive even seen a guy wearing flip/flops on a Honda Fireblade!!!!!!!!!

I too like a boot that I can walk in as I use my bike for work and have to walk a fair bit.

For the last 5 years Ive had a pair of Sidi Canyon Goretex, not cheap but they have done close on 150,000 miles and loads of walking and have NEVER leaked. They are a bit shorter than the race style boots and with my leathers or riding pants over the top look smartish and are comfortable to walk in. They also have a sole/heel more like a normal walking boot so much more grip

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2013, 4:34 am
Addict

When I first got my K, I did once ride it with strong trainer type shoes until I bought riding boots and I can give you the words of warning:

1. Riding boots are an essential part of your safety gear ATGATT.
2. If you have ever had road junk jump up at you, it hits your toe or ankle which is why you need protection above the ankle aka 'boots'.
3. When you come to stops on the big heavy K or are loading up a pillion, you must be sure your feet are firmly planted else tipover, expense greater than proper boots and embarrasment.
4. When you come to stops in wet weather, you realize that the soles of motorcycle riding boots are made of soft rubber similar to your road tires. Not some plastic polyurethane that will slip away.
5. Boots need to be comfortable for walking in 'off the bike' - allow up to 4 weeks to 'wear in' new boots.

I was not interested in the flashy color matched expensive riding boots and my first pair were Dainese touring boots. Plain black, zipper sides with velcro top flap, so easy to get on and off and very comfortable. The only downside was being a soft rubber sole, the right boot eventually wore a hole caused by the K's center stand. I also had to modify them slightly with an angle grinder, because they extended the sole ribbing too far back and the last one caught on the K's foot pegs.

I have seen similar non-branded boots and by look and feel for flexibility on the uppers, sole and sliding the sole/heel on a wet surface, I can tell if they would work for me. I would always prefer leather/rubber soles if I can get them over plastic composite materials.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Mike
I am a little embarrassed to be asking such a question, but my old Harley boots are not a fit for my 03-KGT. Rather than using tennis shoes, does anyone have a preference to a type/brand of shoe?

I want to be able to walk around comfortably while on trips as well as having protection.
I agree that ATGATT includes boots. For years I wore my GI flight boots but now can pay for boots made for riding - and worth it.

My first pair were Hein Gericke that I found on a closout for just over $100. Great boots until the soles wore out. Next were RoadGear which were OK. Now I'm wearing Forma Street Evo also found on closeout, the only complaint is that the flex area is vinyl which has started to pull away from the leather.

A couple of things I've found...
- some boots are very stiff which is OK for riding but can make them uncomfortable for walking
- they generally open with a zipper either on the inside or outside, inside is easier
- waterproof is done by a liner and if it's Gortex it will be expensive and on higher end boots
- BikeBandit has some good videos describing boots, I'm looking toward Gaerne or Sidi for my next pair
- I like to be breaking in my new pair while having my old ones still usable for the long trips

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2013, 9:13 pm

I bought a pair of boots made by Cruiserworks 10 years ago and they are still the best motorcycle boots that I have ever owned. They are comfortable enough to walk around in for hours. The company has been sold from the original owners but according to the website they look identical to the ones I bought back in 2003.

https://www.cruiserworks.com/Product...Zip-Boots.aspx

Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Enthusiast

Noting that you live in California -

Actually the BMW Goretex boots fill the bill for me - Airflow is the model.

http://www.ascycles.com/Motorcycle-A...eyWords=kwBoot

My feet stay nicely ventilated and dry in a brief rain.

I wear more traditional full leather boots in cool/cold weather.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode