Life of New Battery - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2013, 2:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Life of New Battery

I have a Westco battery, new in the box, which I don't need to install this season. How long can I leave it on the shelf before it is no longer a viable choice to put in the bike?

K1300GT, R1200R, R60/2 w/ Jawa Sidecar, R1100RT (Milan, Italy), Honda CB 750, Honda ST1100A (Denver, CO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 3:40 pm
Addict

If you just leave it on the shelf for up to a year it will be gradually going flat.

If you store it in a cold garage or outhouse, a flat battery can freeze and split its case in Winter!

If you want to store that new battery ready for use, consider buying a cheap tender and keep it connected 24/7.

Nothing fancy with microcomputers and flashing leds.

If you do not want to spend the money, you can use an old 18-19 volt laptop dc power supply with a series diode and resistor. Adjust the resistor for about 50 -100mA small charge current on a good fully charged battery.

If you bought an Odyssee type that has lower self discharge it MAY sit ok for a year, but I would not risk it without a tender connected.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 4:26 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
If you just leave it on the shelf for up to a year it will be gradually going flat.

If you store it in a cold garage or outhouse, a flat battery can freeze and split its case in Winter!

If you want to store that new battery ready for use, consider buying a cheap tender and keep it connected 24/7.

Nothing fancy with microcomputers and flashing leds.

If you do not want to spend the money, you can use an old 18-19 volt laptop dc power supply with a series diode and resistor. Adjust the resistor for about 50 -100mA small charge current on a good fully charged battery.

If you bought an Odyssee type that has lower self discharge it MAY sit ok for a year, but I would not risk it without a tender connected.
I can only talk about Odysseys because I've had a lot to do with them,but a fully charged one with no drain will stand for 12 months no probs,the important bit is where you keep them,ideally in the house or certainly room temp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode