Arrest me red.....a time traveler's perspective - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2013, 9:01 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Arrest me red.....a time traveler's perspective

First, let me say hello to all my new friends. I have been lurking on K-bikes for about a year but this is my first posting having recently officially joined. I purchased my 2009 K1300GT in the spring of 2012 and love it!!

I have recently returned to motorcycling after a long hiatus of about 20 years . My separation from motorcycling was probably not different from others who have a few miles on their own odometers. Back in 1991 I was riding a 1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo that had given me several years of reliable service and lots of fun!! As I prepared to graduate from college and marry my sweetheart (who loved to ride), motorcycling was going to be a challenge as we embarked upon our careers and likely move to a less motorcycling friendly area, besides, I could use the proceeds of the sale of the motorcycle to pay off my car and begin our marriage debt free.

I dabbled with the idea of getting a motorcycle about 5 years into our marriage but along came kids and more responsibilities.

About 2 years ago, the motorcycling itch became too hard to bear and just had to be scratched. As chance would have it, my Uncle was also a motorcycle enthusiast and had passed away a number of years early and my Aunt gave his 1986 Harley FXRT (Touring) to my father who rode it for several years and then put it in storage when his balance began fading. So....I asked my father if I could put put the FXRT back on the road to see if my back (had surgery 15 years ago) could tolerate it. After a year of the FXRT (and some $$ in repairs) I came to the conclusion that my back is good enough to take up riding again and that the Harley needed a owner that was dedicated to the lifestyle and tinkering with a classic.

So I began my search for a new ride that would suit me well. I'm 6'7" and about 280 pounds so I need a big bike with some leg room. I ended up test riding the K1600GTL and it felt a bit like I was riding in a car....nice but I already have a car. The dealer had a used 2009 K1300GT with 14,000 miles on its. Needless to say, the used bike was a bit lower priced than the new K1600GTL. Taking the used K13000GT for a test ride reminded me of the power of my beloved Seca 650 Turbo (OK, I know, the K1300GT has literally twice the HP of the Turbo).

My one hesitation about the 2009 K1300GT was the color.....arrest me red I think you guys like to call it. Over the next day or so I was researching (including this site) and thinking real hard about the bike....but that color...its a big bike....in red...like a fire truck.

So here's the thing. I live in the suburbs of Washington DC. Lots of traffic, lots of turning traffic, lots of merging. Lots of people distracted by talking on cell phones and texting and other distractions that didn't exist in 1991 when I previously rode frequently. Then, as I was driving home from work merging onto a highway it hit me. All the cars are gray...or blue....or maybe even black. I'll blend right in and these distracted drivers won't even see me!!!! They probably won't even know that they hit me and will drive off talking and texting etc.

Sign me up...arrest me red is just right for me I thought. Maybe I will get an extra speeding ticket that I probably deserve (can't resist that acceleration of 160 hp and I do love the twisties); however, if helps keep me from being a speed bump on the highway...I'll take it and say thank you to office friendly for the driving award!!!

Where I'm from (1991), the roads were a lot safer on my gray rocket ship from Yamaha.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2013, 10:30 pm
Addict

I am a big believer in RED as a look at me colour! Best of good luck to you in your travels.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2014, 6:17 am
Noob

Just for a slightly different perspective, I ride a fully kitted out ex police RT for a local blood bike charity, it is fluorescent yellow and orange and still has all the blue lights etc fitted (you can just about see it in the background of my avatar photo) and I still get the occasional driver pulling out on me. Don't become complacent, ever..

2002 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 4:56 am
Addict

It is not so surprising then that there are casualties amongst fully trained and equiped police riders.

We all know what you mean. I'm not sure about riding such a high viz bike. After I put HIDs on my Jailbait red KRS for safer daylight riding, I found cars I followed slowed to speed limits and slower! That can be a little frustrating sometimes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode