What pants work best to deflect bellowing heat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2013, 6:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

What pants work best to deflect bellowing heat

I did a search and did not see any posts recommending what pants work best deflecting the engine heat bellowing out of a K1200RS? I live in Alabama where it is hot and humid and my K1200RS tends to heat up my legs. Someone must have overcome this issue and has a recommendation for me.

Regards,

Tom

"Four wheels might move the body but 2 wheels moves the soul!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2013, 4:49 am
Addict

There have been a couple of recent threads in this subject. Obviously individual experiences will vary according to the climate and yours is HOT. Here are a few ideas to chew on:

I don't have that problem in the UK climate and I have not had the hot leg syndrome some seem to complain about.

I think I would want to make sure everything was right with the bike first. If you have a buddy riding a big K who has the same problem, then that leans towards a common issue with the bike in your climate.

Do you get the hot legs continuously at cruising speeds or after cruising and when slowed or stopped? If the latter, then modifying the electric fan cooling properties could help. When you are on a long cruise in this hot weather getting hot legs, where is the temperature gauge reading?

The K's throw out a lot of heat and the hot air has to get out somewhere. That should be down through the underbelly or out of the side vents in the plastics. There are those slots at the bottom of the side panels, but I would have thought the path of least resistance is the first two.

Check the black/gray heatshield near the shifter is actually fitted.

Some years ago I played with fine adjusting the ignition timing by +- a degree. Sorry I cannot remember which way it went but one way did seem to run the engine cooler without much noticeable drop in power. In fact idle seemed a lot smoother.

I am not a fan of aftermarket parts, but the K CAT is like a huge heat sink sat right near your legs. Many have reported a much cooler (and lighter) muffler system when they swapped the oem for aftermarket.

Changing clothing seems like a last resort to improve the problem. I think you would be looking for pants with a heat reflecting layer sewn in just below the outer layer. Whatever is used, needs to keep you warm in Winter.

Have you tried wrapping half a dozen of those velcro wine cooler wraps up your legs and going up a size in riding pants.

Or there is the refrigeration approach - plastic tubes sewn inside the pants and jackets with quick disconnects plugging into a compressed gas or chilled water refrigeration unit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2013, 4:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna

Have you tried wrapping half a dozen of those velcro wine cooler wraps up your legs and going up a size in riding pants.

Or there is the refrigeration approach - plastic tubes sewn inside the pants and jackets with quick disconnects plugging into a compressed gas or chilled water refrigeration unit.
I will see if the local high school baseball team will loan me their catcher's "Shin Guards" in the off season to wear.

Just went for a 5 hr ride and decided that the heat is not unbearable but is a definite design issue placing the vents right where your shins are. Ride on....Thanks for the insight.

Regards,

Tom

"Four wheels might move the body but 2 wheels moves the soul!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Addict-oholic

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3755
I did a search and did not see any posts recommending what pants work best deflecting the engine heat bellowing out of a K1200RS? I live in Alabama where it is hot and humid and my K1200RS tends to heat up my legs. Someone must have overcome this issue and has a recommendation for me.

Visit your local firehouse and buy a pair of used fire fighters trousers. Or find out where to buy a pair new!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2013, 7:43 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3755
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panties.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	14248  

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:53 am
Enthusiast

BMW Summer Pants

These work for me - the original K100 models are FAR FAR worse than any of the newer designs - even with these pants I used to look down occasionally to see if my leg was on fire.

They are available in Tan or Black - very comfortable.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode