Protect Yourself or Pay the Consequences - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Protect Yourself or Pay the Consequences

Protect Yourself or Pay the Consequences

This is discussed at BMWSportTouring.com
Some think this doctor's comments are lame, others think he is expressing compassion. I think his logic is poor and his comments ultimately insensitive to the victim.

A small quote from the letter. The letter deserves to be read in its entirety for context.

"A van driver illegally pulled out in front of a motorcyclist. The van driver was talking on a cell phone at the time. The cyclist was killed in the accident.
There is no question the van driver caused the accident, but the motorcycle rider is largely responsible for the severity of his injuries and subsequent death. Common sense should tell people that if they are going to share the streets with other vehicles weighing several thousand pounds, then they should have some sheet metal around them. An error by another driver is a constant threat whenever and whatever you drive. A smart person would protect himself with a similarly sized vehicle. People can't depend on the law to protect them; they must do it themselves or face the consequences."

Last edited by bjoraker; Jan 29th, 2006 at 9:35 am. Reason: added quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:12 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Speechless

I'm speechless at the utter stupidity of the doctor's comments. So much so that I will actually refrain from commenting for a while until I've had the time to regain composure - lest I let out a less than family oriented tirade against the moron.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:51 am

The doctor has a thought but is incapable of communicating it. Or he is confused about the difference between blame and responsibility.

The driver who pulled out in front of the rider carries all of the blame for the accident and rider's death.

The rider is responsible for their own safety. They are responsible for taking whatever actions are necessary to remain safe regardless of what others do, no matter how stupid or unpredictable those actions are. That's the belief that keeps me on the road on my motorcycle.

That belief becomes hard to hold when I read accounts like this (registration required - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed )

From the article:
" A violent wreck early Saturday in Downers Grove killed three people, sheared one of the vehicles apart and left a Robbins alternative school mourning a beloved leader."

Early reports had the car that caused the accident going over 100 mph, but that has been removed. The damage that resulted bears that out. Police were initially unable to determine the make and model of the car that was hit.

But I suppose that motorcycle, car or big SUV, the results would have likely been the same.

-hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:59 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

What about an answer in the paper to this clown?

I guess I shouldn't be amazed at such poor logic being expressed by a seemingly educated man, but I am. I think he was trying to bolster his ego by making everyone aware that he is a doctor working on trauma cases.

What do you guys think? Is it worth coming up with a reply and emailing the newspaper? We could do a little extrapolation on his logic and talk about an accident involving a semi-tractor/trailer rig with a high-end Volvo sedan (surely to be the doctor's choice of vehicles), and suggest the doc's injuries were caused by his own failure to invest in a semi to commute in to his pretigious work at the hospital...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:00 pm
Addict

I too am speechless, The best protection might be for all vulnerable road user - pedestrians, skate boarders, cyclists, dog walkers and motorcyclists etc to know that penalties imposed on guilty cage drivers were very much more severe, since they have the advantage of more metal round them but suffer limited visibility which they should allow for when driving. Sadly, it doesn't change the outcome for the motorcyclist in this case.

I don't know if this is true, but I read in Holland where they have a bicycle culture, rights of way and penalties for ofenses agains cyclists are much greater.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I guess I shouldn't be amazed at such poor logic being expressed by a seemingly educated man, but I am. I think he was trying to bolster his ego by making everyone aware that he is a doctor working on trauma cases.

What do you guys think? Is it worth coming up with a reply and emailing the newspaper? We could do a little extrapolation on his logic and talk about an accident involving a semi-tractor/trailer rig with a high-end Volvo sedan (surely to be the doctor's choice of vehicles), and suggest the doc's injuries were caused by his own failure to invest in a semi to commute in to his pretigious work at the hospital...
Well, I did reply to the email address link in the column and gave my 2 cents.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Perhaps pedestrians should strap 3,000 lbs. of steel around themselves when they cross streets.

Ken
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 2:58 pm

I think the doctor maybe was thinking that anyone who risks going against the norm, inherits such risks. we've all seen or heard about stupid accidents and needless deaths caused by car vs. cycle encounters. If the norm is 99% cagers on the roads, then the inherent risks of riding a cycle are not good for the rider. Therefore, riders bear some responsibility for putting themselves in such an environment in the first place. What sucks is the overwhelming odds that riders will get the worst end of the encounter whether innocent or not. And in this country you might as well call the "norm" by its truthful name, "lowest common denominator"- which is the typical asshole driver not paying attention to what they are doing with a 2 or 3 ton weapon. I cant even count the number of accidents I know of which occured when someone was looking for a cell phone, or a cd, or yakking away...

before you flame me, consider this- I talked to a prominent judge one time about the fact that I disagreed with a ruling that my uncle should not receive extra compensation when his brand new truck- with 10 whole miles on the speedo, that he had to wait 6 weeks to be delivered- was t-boned by a girl yakking on a cell phone. Ultimately his opinion, which I couldnt really disagree with, was that by using the public road for your own purpose in whatever vehicle- cycle, john deere mower, truck, vintage mercedes gullwing, what ever it is- you are thereby assuming all the risks inherent in doing so. Which means if you take a spin in your million dollar bugatti or your vintage rusty Yugo or on your K12S, and are hit, the type of vehicle doesnt matter. You knew what was out there before you hit the ignition.

Lastly, a side note- no one has mentioned the reason for the doctor's comments, have they? He easily could have seen a number of senseless deaths or damaged riders of crotchrockets or HDs , with shorts, no helmets, overweight passengers who added to the stopping distance... he may have reacted just the same as some of you reacted to him.

That old saying "dont do the crime if you cant do the time" kinda fits- you have to be prepared for the worst when on a motorcycle. You better know how to stop it, ride it, turn it, and see what's going to happen before it happens. I stopped riding with groups largely for this reason- poorly trained, little experience, and the belief that a sunday ride is like a day at the fair, all fun and no worries.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 3:01 pm

By the same logic, the doctor should understand that he would be responsible for not wearing a bullet proof vest when shot at close range with a modest .38 and thus enabling his own demise.

George
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 3:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB
The doctor has a thought but is incapable of communicating it. Or he is confused about the difference between blame and responsibility.

The driver who pulled out in front of the rider carries all of the blame for the accident and rider's death.

The rider is responsible for their own safety. They are responsible for taking whatever actions are necessary to remain safe regardless of what others do, no matter how stupid or unpredictable those actions are. That's the belief that keeps me on the road on my motorcycle.

That belief becomes hard to hold when I read accounts like this (registration required - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed )

From the article:
" A violent wreck early Saturday in Downers Grove killed three people, sheared one of the vehicles apart and left a Robbins alternative school mourning a beloved leader."

Early reports had the car that caused the accident going over 100 mph, but that has been removed. The damage that resulted bears that out. Police were initially unable to determine the make and model of the car that was hit.

But I suppose that motorcycle, car or big SUV, the results would have likely been the same.

-hank

Dunno how long you have been on the road but your attitude as noted above has kept me going for fifty years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode