BMW dirt bike sticker shock - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 6:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict

BMW dirt bike sticker shock

i think BMW's new enduro bike looks pretty cool but how many people are going to cough up 20 grand for a dirt bike??? MSRP for the HP2 on BMW webpage is $19990, thats more than the "S" new GT and damn near as much as the LT. whats BMW target market for this bike...looks to me like price will doom this bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsanra9.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1730  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
i think BMW's new enduro bike looks pretty cool but how many people are going to cough up 20 grand for a dirt bike??? MSRP for the HP2 on BMW webpage is $19990, thats more than the "S" new GT and damn near as much as the LT. whats BMW target market for this bike...looks to me like price will doom this bike.
Not only will the price doom the bike, the bike itself isn't that good.
One point. Who the hell needs an air shock. It's not likely that you have to make a suspension adjustment that is beyond those available on regular shocks. Point 2, who is going to make aftermarket parts for this thing. Nobody. #3, What do you do for an oversized fuel tank? Carry a Maier 1qt. jug on your $20,000 motorcycle?
While it came in third in Baja. It was 6 hours off the pace.
BMW certainly could have spent their money more wisely than to develop and market this turkey.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Sorry guys but they are selling these rather well. The one at my dealer didn't last a month..
They also have people trying to put deposits down but they won't take them due to unknown availability.......Reagrds Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2006, 7:35 am
Rookie

Aftermarket Parts- Look at New Touratech Catalog

Someone asked who would make aftermarket parts for this bike. There are 13 pages (70 - 80 items) unique to the HP2 in the new Touratech catolog and many other items that could work.

Darrell
99 K1200RS
"Enjoying the Journey"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2006, 1:09 pm
Just saying hey

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Sorry guys but they are selling these rather well. The one at my dealer didn't last a month..
They also have people trying to put deposits down but they won't take them due to unknown availability.......Reagrds Pete

There are three unsold HP2s at my dealer in SoCal as of last weekend

Awdnut
06 K1200R
03 VRod
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:09 am
nuK
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
I wouldn't. You could almost purchase 2 KTM 950 adventures and have far more flexibility with 1 of them. The 950 is coming in a stripped version soon for those who want less.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 2:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Yep....foolish people are everywhere...gimme a break...20k? I'd be so pissed if I dropped that bike on a trail! gimme a honda XR650L for a quarter of the price, and I'd still be BS about it if I dumped it off road! If someone has that kinda money they want to spend on a "dirt bike"?....send me a pm....I got this bridge I wanna sell ya. 20k oughta 'bout cover it too!

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:08 pm
Addict

selling hot in the south

There was one in BR last month, lasted less than a week. I'm wondering how the 1200gsa will fair in our climate. The sales guy says they move very very slowly. If I didn't have the GT, I'd get the GSA. Every time I see a dirt road I start telling myself that my GT can handle it, then I resist.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Point 2, who is going to make aftermarket parts for this thing. Nobody.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/BMW.lasso?SubCat=HP2
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Veteran

[QUOTE=RickBlanc]http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/BMW.lasso?SubCat=HP2[/Q

Rick
With the exception of the pipe and frame guards most of that stuff would be regarded as farkles.
I stand by what I said. "The thing ain't worth it."

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode