"Storing" a bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Question "Storing" a bike

My son-in-law, a Marine currently in Okinawa but slated to be leaving for a long stint in Iraq in the next month or two is buying a 2006 Super Glide 35th Anniversary bike. (Yeah, I know, it will look odd in the garage with three Beemers!) I've agreed to keep it for him but it will likely be for a year or more. The question is, will it be better (for the bike) to ride it 60 or so miles every month, or should I just take out the battery, put stabilizer in the gas and???

And please, no Harley bashing! I've had enough from my buddies here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 5:04 pm
Veteran

well....i think the best is to ride it every so often....but keep it on a charger...cold in shop?.....put the snack oil in it to keep the gas stable...salt on roads?...keep it clean.....you know ...but when you go to ride it do it late at night make sure!!!!! you have a scarf or at the least a full helment to hide your face and then i think you ll be fine...sure, in your heart and mind you know you road it...but its all for the boy....good luck!!!.........and say thank you to your son for me and all who live under the flag of freedom for keeping us safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:18 pm
Looking for better limits...

Take it out once a week and give it a 10 mile run. (Foothill to Sunol, pose a bit at Bones and Brew, and back). It'll be hard, and you'll have to get on one of the Beemers to help relieve the anxiety afterwards, but it's for a good cause. If you feel after a few rides like taking it on a long putt, let me know.

BAK04GT: No salt. No snow. If it gets below 30°F, it'll happen once. Worse that can happen is rain...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 5:34 am

It is choice between riding long enough to get it it really warm, so you do not get condensed water in the oil and other parts, OR storing it and keeping it free from moisture. If you go for storing you should spray some oil in the cylinders, move the pistons a few times up and down. Make sure the battery is on a charger, if possible raise the tyres from the ground. After a year a flat spot on the tyre will start to develop if the weight is constantly on the same place.
If you decide to ride it from time to time the same applies for the battery, but you have to ride long enough to get the oil on working temperature! riding for ten minutes or so and then storing it again for a month is bad news for the engine. (and remember not to rev it like a Beemer)

Succes!

Frits.

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, guys, for the advice. I think I can handle short rides on a Harley. Question is, do I need to trade my Aerostich in for a set of fringed leathers?? Ray, the Bosco's suggestion is a good one, much better than the locals here who just ride to Tully's on Main.

I may be doing a lot of riding just to keep bikes in shape. Theresa just had brain surgery to remove a large tumor so it will be a while before she is in the saddle again. Let's see -- four bikes, say an hour each, plus 15 minutes to swap from Aerostich to leathers... Maybe I can get some fringes that just clip on to the 'Stich!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 2:47 pm
Looking for better limits...

Yeah, clip-ons would be best. That way the wardrobe costs are kept to a minimum.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 3:01 pm
Veteran

If you guys keep up this discussion on "storing" this Harley. Somebody better disconnect the speedometer cable.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
If you guys keep up this discussion on "storing" this Harley. Somebody better disconnect the speedometer cable.
Not to worry! Given a choice between the K and a Harley -- there is no choice! 636 lb and a single disk on the front -- not for my style of riding!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
well....i think the best is to ride it every so often....but keep it on a charger...cold in shop?.....
If it is ridden every 4 to 6 weeks, there is no point at all in keeping it on a charger. BTW, the cooler it is stored, the longer the battery will keep its charge (internal leakage reduces in proportion to reducing temperature). At room temperature, a lead acid battery will not loose significant charge over a period of 4 to 6 weeks.

Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode