top case or back rest? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

top case or back rest?

A little help here, I need to get something for my bride to lean on, most of her riding is local. But we do one trip every summer, I just am looking for a opinion on the most comfortable.So top case or back rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:29 am
Addict

Both!

I have a Givi top case and side mountings. Givi sell a contoured spongy rubber back rest as an accessory for their cases. Fits with 2 screws.

Pillion bride means a lot more stuff to carry! Extra Luggage space for her stuff comes top of the list and comfort second. Top case with integral back rest works for us. If you don't need the case on the bike you can unhook it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:30 am
Veteran

Top case. The BMW large 49 liter top case is big and ugly, but very practical, and it comes with a backrest pad. My bride won't go riding without it. It can hold two helmets, or lots of gear, or whatever your bride buys while you are out. It attaches to your rack without an adapter, and you can easily key it to match your ignition. My local dealer re-keyed mine at no charge. Some dealers may charge a modest fee to rekey it.

I have a used BMW 49 liter top case that I would be willing to sell for $289 plus shipping (vs. $800+ for new, plus sales tax). Send a PM if you are interested. It is painted metallic blue and scratched from an accident, but otherwise in good working condition. You can clean it up and paint it to match your bike. The backrest pad is in perfect condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2014, 1:48 pm
Addict

The BMW oem case and mount has a lower weight payload than the Givi top case if you are considering buying new.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2014, 9:01 pm
Rookie

I have been using the BMW 49 liter case for 2 years. I got it partially for carrying capacity and also as a safety mechanism for my now 9 year old daughter when she rides with me.

A few months ago there was a post from a guy in France that had his BMW top case fall off unexpectedly on the highway. I think there were a few other folks that reported similar experiences.

If you are going to rely on the top case as a backrest you may want to reinforce the connection to the bike as a safety measure just in case.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 4:03 pm
Addict

I think a lot depends on how you use the case. My Givi hardly ever comes off the rack because I have it wired inside for rear stop light and for charging toys when I'm parked. Because the locking mechanism is underneath the case, it is important to keep it free of dirt and lubed if you remove the case regularly.

When I do remove it, I am always very careful to make sure the latch is positively locked and I've never had mine come off. In fact, my bike had a tip over in strong wind recently, the case took most of the rear side impact and stayed locked to the rack.

BMW side cases? Yes I've had a lid drop down at night and at high speed which sets the rear handling up to be quite squirmy. Until you stop and realize the early case lids had poor skimpy moldings holding the latch mechanism and they break.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 8:43 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
. . .I have a used BMW 49 liter top case that I would be willing to sell . . .
In case anyone follows up, the top case has been sold.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2014, 9:16 am
Noob

I guess I'll weigh in on the backrest since I don't own a top case. I have a heated Corbin seat for my K12S and purchased the oval padded backrest. My wife wouldn't ride without it and finds the seat/backrest combo very comfortable. I just added the Tribo non-slip seat cover to keep her from sliding into me. If you don't need the extra storage, I think it's a better looking option.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2014, 7:08 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
We have the Givi top case, my wife will not ride without either the case or a back rest.
The bike is so quiet if she is daydreaming, and I pull out to pass it surprises her, even if I have down shifted. Something about wheelies when we were younger.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 1:46 am
Noob

Talking Back rest for wife

I have owned and ridden bikes since 1974 and one thing I have found is that you buy the bike you need for your intensions. With that, I mean, a cruiser is for cruising, not for cross country tours. A K1200RS is for sport touring and not for riding in the city while going from Mexico to Canada. If you want to tour, buy a K1200LT or other touring bike. If you want to zip in and out of traffic, buy a 600 sport bike. With that said, tell the wife that if you need a back rest or a tour pack that you need to take this "opportunity" to buy a different bike. Buy a tourer for your wife and you and keep the RS for your riding pleasure. Who needs more than one bike? Tell me that is a joke for answering it would make me toss my cookies on my neighbor's lap (who is another bike rider and would not like that!).....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode