Montgomery Police Dept. Switching to BMW Motorcycles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Montgomery Police Dept. Switching to BMW Motorcycles

Hi All,

Seems like the police in Montgomery, Alabama is switching to BMW's. Of course to me, the first sentence seems to read like the BMW motorcycles are somehow like the cars - who knows.... Still good news for the police there....

alow

Here's the link to the article (shown below):
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...602170336/1001

=================
Police switch to BMW bikes

By Kirsten J. Barnes
Montgomery Advertiser

The Montgomery Police Department is stepping up in class. At least it's motorcycle officers are.

The department has decided to gradually phase out its cheaper Harley-Davidson and Kawasaki motorcycles in favor of more-expensive German-made BMW bikes.

The Police Department bought five BMWs last year and plans to purchase 10 this year, said Maj. Bobby Briscoe, commander of the traffic division.

The department has decided to switch to BMWs because of safety and added features that come standard on the BMWs, said Briscoe.

On average, the BMW motorcycles cost about $18,000 each and come fully equipped with sirens and blue lights. The Kawasakis and Harley-Davidsons cost the department about $17,000, but don't come with lights or sirens. The BMWs also come standard with heated handles and adjustable seats.

"They last longer and we've determined they're safer," said Briscoe. "The maintenance is also cheaper and the parts are supposed to last longer."

In addition, spare parts are available for BMWs for up to 15 years after the end of a model's production.

Officers who have ridden the BMWs say there is no comparison to the Harley-Davidson and Kawasaki models used by most of the motorcycle officers.

Sgt. D. F. Phillips, a traffic supervisor who has ridden a motorcycle for the police department for 13 years, was one of the first to receive a BMW.

"We got them in March of last year," Phillips said.

Over the years, he's ridden a Kawasaki, a Harley-Davidson and a Yamaha.

"Ain't no comparison to the comfort," Phillips said. "The suspension system doesn't beat up your back. I haven't had my back hurt once on this bike."

The Kawasakis and Harley-Davidsons require maintenance every 4,000 miles, while the BMWs require maintenance every 6,000 miles.

"They have the anti-lock braking system, which makes it easier for the officers to stop and brake to avoid danger," Briscoe said.

Phillips said having anti-lock brakes is a huge plus.

"It takes the human error out of braking. You can stop that bike on a dime," Phillips said.

Cpl. Matt Barrett, a certified motorcycle trainer, has ridden all three types of motorcycles in the department's fleet of 30.

"For police work, the BMW motorcycle is the best motorcycle out there," he said.

BMW has been manufacturing motorcycles for police work since 1928, according to its Web site.

Since 1970, more than 100,000 police departments in 146 countries have purchased BMWs, with France, Germany, Spain and Great Britain being the biggest customers.

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 6:26 pm

I loved this part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishus
Officers who have ridden the BMWs say there is no comparison to the Harley-Davidson and Kawasaki models used by most of the motorcycle officers.

Mark

'03 K1200RS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:34 pm
Enthusiast

I came off harleys to BMW's.What I tell my harley friends is you need to ride a BMW to belive it.I think the phrase"If I have to explain,you wouldn't understand"fits BMW's more than harleys.My first ride on a Beemer I was amazed and four years later I am still amazed every time I ride. I can't ride with them anymore,its a real pain trying not to run off an leave them.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Thumbs up

Thats the way I feel about my K12rs..........Enjoy, Enjoy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2006, 1:44 pm
Veteran

Cop taking leak

Check it out man!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12969.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1798  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2006, 2:46 pm
Veteran

its just a whole diff day if you know your going to be on a bmw instead of a pickup with 2 wheels...maybe the cops wont be shit heads the next time you get pulled over...or maybe they will love the ride so much that they wont even want to pull you over and take away from there ride time .....mmm
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 8:33 am

BMW vs. Harley

I heard a guy put it this way; With a Harley you can ride it until you reach the full capability of the bike. With a BMW, you ride to the the limit of your own capability.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:30 am
Riding in company

This morning's local newspaper announced, on the front page, that the NJ State Police are putting a small number of LEOs back on motorcycles. They are going to be on Harleys and the paper said that the bikes cost $30,000 each. No wonder this state is broke!

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:56 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
This morning's local newspaper announced, on the front page, that the NJ State Police are putting a small number of LEOs back on motorcycles. They are going to be on Harleys and the paper said that the bikes cost $30,000 each. No wonder this state is broke!
Not to be nitpicky, but keep in mind they are reporting that the bikes cost $30k. Nowhere (I'll bet) does it say anyone is paying that much per bike. The competition is such that there's either a $1.00/yr lease plan or something similar. The way you find out is the price of the bike after they're turned in. The RT-P's in California have over 60k miles when they're turned in, and haven't dropped that much in the asking price over the same RT when new (granted, without the authority goodies).

While I agree $30k is pretty steep, the real question is how much the state is actually paying out to get those bikes. With BMW knocking Harley out of the police-bike business in a lot of areas, I wouldn't be surprised that The Motor Company doesn't have some incentives to encourage the use of their product again. I also believe the police units are the only ones to now come with ABS.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Veteran

been there

I rode one of the bastards at work. Lots of fun, banging away at every second lamp post./ Course I did not catch any one but it was different, bit like driving a back hoe home, you see more of the suburbs.

Then they gave it to the school and the instructor had it, poor Phil, his students kept waiting patiently for him to catch up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode