86 K-75 Fuel pump Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2014, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

86 K-75 Fuel pump Problem

I'm trying to get my K75 running after sitting for 2 yrs. I am starting with the fuel pump. I purchased a new fuel pump, filter, hoses. Cleaning the old tank out and saw that the "relay" with the wires that were powering the fuel pump were connected to, was pretty corroded. I cleaned it pretty good. None of the wires seemed to be frayed or disconnected. I installed the relay and floater back and installed the new pump and filter. Everything looks good, added fuel and tried to start. Nothing, I didn't hear the whirl of the fuel pump. So I'm guessing there is no fuel getting to the engine. So i'm not sure what to do now.

How do I know if its the pump or the wiring? (The pump was bought brand new, so I'm pretty sure its good)
Is there a way to test the pump thats not in the bike? I do not have any electrical testers. (If it needs something like that)
And if its the the relay, do I need to replace the whole thing or can i bypass it some how?

Straight Newbie
Thank You for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2014, 9:20 pm

You can test the pump by putting 12 volts to it from a battery. Use long wires and make the final connections at the battery to preclude sparks at the source of fuel vapors. I think you will find the pump to be good. Two common failures in the wiring are at the plug that supplies power to the tank and in the base of the fuel sender.

Try cleaning the tank plug and if you determine that it is bad, you can substitute a 4 wire trailer plug.

Ron Cooper

91 K75RT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2014, 2:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

My pump is working fine. I tested on the battery. Is there a work around for the plug. You said to use a 4 wire trailer plug. Where would I get one of those? I am having a hard time finding a replacement Fuel Level Sender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Have you checked the tank electrical connection(where the wires out of the tank connects to the wiring harness? If you determine that it is bad , go to an auto parts store and ask for a 4 pole trailer connection. To check before you buy a 4 pole connector diagram you could supply battery power to the 2 tank leads that power the pump.The other 2 are the low fuel light.

Ron Cooper

91 K75RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode