$600 in road rash - sound familiar? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 5:30 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Unhappy $600 in road rash - sound familiar?

So, I decided to take a ride this morning. Uh oh, the rear tire air pressure is way down. Sure enough, the flimsy-looking staple stuck in my ALMOST NEW rear tire was the culprit, and it was a mistake to pull it out. So I filled the tire with Stopleak and headed for the dealership to have them throw on a new tire before my ride. What the heck, I could have a cigar while I waited and it would be almost a good thing.

I got to the corner of my street and stopped, and decided I had plenty of room to beat the cars coming up the hill from my left. When I started out, the engine was still cold and I didn't have nearly enough engine RPMs up to handle the hill, so the bike stalled almost halfway thru the right hand turn. It stalled and jerked, and the roadway was falling away from me on the right side due to the crown/slope. I couldn't get my foot down to stop the bike from falling over. It laid down on its right side, downhill, and I couldn't pick it up. A guy came by and stopped, and together we got the bike upright so I could look at the damage.

The rear brake lever is bent, the main fairing panel and the nose fairing are heavily scratched, the brake lever ball is ground down, the mirror is scratched, and the add-on handguard is scratched. Luckily, the system cases were on, and I had put the rubber guards on it. The guards are toast, but the case looks OK.

The preliminary estimate for paint repair and parts replacement is about $600. First time the bike has ever been down. It's a black 2003 K1200RS, bought new.

Well, it was my fault and no one else's. My insurance deductible is $500, so I'm not going to make a claim.

My back is tweaked from trying to pick up the bike, and it's embarrassing to even think about the dumb thing I did. Plus, I scratched up MY BABY. This is kind of therapy for me, writing about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 6:05 pm
Veteran

hey its just paint and thats all.......just think if it were a hit or something and the baby was crushed....its just a drop.and they make paint every day, they dont make new bones and skin at the local dealer!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Hey buddy - I'm sorry that happened to you. At least it's all cosmetic and no one is injured other than a back tweak. It could have been worse and it's good you're OK. Don't sweat the small stuff. Fix the bike and get some more accessories. Buying parts to improve the performance will improve your humor and make the bike faster. Get a Rhine West chip and avoid that unsightly slow warmup process. See, things are looking up. Adios, JCL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Your OK

As long as you are ok and here to tell the tale . The rest is replaceable and s**t happens.
Been there done that got the t shirt , fortunately on a cheaper bike 750 Norton .
regards Frank
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Glad your ok

Just glad to hear you are ok.
Have the bike fixed. Its money well spent. Stuff like this happens - your baby will be back to perfect in no time. So will you. I think we have all dropped one at one time or another.
Just smile and Ride On

Best Wishes,
JD
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Veteran

Thumbs up

Major bummer, Sir Chuck.. Join the club.. feel the burn. ;-) Glad you're OK.

BYW.. if you get a chance you may want to check out Skirt's Picking up a Dropped Bike web page at

http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

She's a K12'er.. Is about 5' tall...weighs under 140lbs and she can pick up her fully loaded KRS with ease... Wish I'd seen her technique before I dropped a loner RS in Texas a few years ago... I couldn't pick it up either...

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Cool No worries..

Hey Chuck...sorry to hear about the drop...but at least it wasn't on top of your leg. Second day I got my brandy spanking new 04 GT..I dropped her at the corner of my house...with my wife/brother in law/friends(2), and their wives all watching....what a humbling experience...yes they are heavy babies. Once you get her back as good as new, the burn will go away, but the experience will make you an even better rider. Glad you're ok.
Don't worry...be happy.

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:12 pm

Glad you're ok. The bike can easily be repaired. We've all done dumb things occasionally--at least I have. Writing about it helps, doesn't it?

Ken
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:25 am

Oops!

Chuck,

Glad to hear you're o.k. and your repair bill isn't too bad.

I dropped my old GS up near Saddleback peak, and I was real glad I had those system cases on, they saved the cylinder heads on the boxer.

Take care.

Keep a high visual horizon,
Bob
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 1:04 am
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Hey Chuck,

SO glad you didn't have worse damage. All of this will pass. Everyone is right....get some new gizmos and goodies, kick back, give yourself a break. Also, and most important...realize that you are doing a cool service to us all by not sweating sharing your so-called dumb experience. We have all been there....or will soon. Oh man, could I tell you my stories...but another time. Glad you are okay. Cheers, and thanks. Johnny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode