Bike Security - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 1:09 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Bike Security

Just curious. I wondered what type of security folks use on there bikes. At home and on the road. Would love to get input on how you protect your ride. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 1:14 am
Addict

mostly I rely on the insurance.Park in the garage at home,in as safe a place as I can other times,a bicycle cable lock to lock all the gear on it. Sometimes a Sig p220 as a back up insurance.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 1:28 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Talking

Where do I get that Sig P220 thingie? Is that a BMW add-on? Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 6:19 am
Addict

I use 2 methods depending on where I might park and for how long.

The bike alarm with ignition immobiliser is the first line, always on when ignition off. I keep a cable in the top box for areas I don't know or longer period parking. Occasionally when I've parked at an airport for several days I have a lock wire long enough to reach a nearby ground post, rail, or wrap it round the centre stand. I reckon if the centre stand can't be dropped that's just another obstacle. I try to vary my parking place in lots I use regularly too, choose well lit areas and preferably in front of their security cameras. I've also pasted coded security dots and hidden microwave scannable senders all over the bike parts. Glows like a Noel tree when lit up with UV!

2 or 3 misfits with short scaffold tubes and a padded van will get most bikes if they want yours. If you've got a really expensive loved, bike you can afford GPS tracker via a cell. Insurance for me is a last resort, once its gone, its gone, comes back crashed or gets broken for parts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Feb 26th, 2006 at 6:26 am. Reason: typo
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 7:11 am
Veteran

Cool

i use a 44 mag on mine i find that it keeps hands off and it comes with a "pouch" so you can keep it on your person like when you go into the store and things like that
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 9:07 am

At home the Zebra stays in the garage. I never leave it outside. For some reason I've noticed at home or at work birds love to sit on it. You know what that means. Bird flys off, shits on bike. Any way, at work I park in front of my office and can look out. When traveling I put a Xena disk lock with alarm and a Sig 228!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 9:23 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
Where do I get that Sig P220 thingie? Is that a BMW add-on? Cheers.
oops,, I ment P230 http://www.sigarms.com/products/clas...?product_id=42
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 1:53 pm

When I'm at home the bike is in the garage, on alarm and start-circuit breaker. Besides that there is a disc lock on the front brake and a heavy chain on the rear wheel. This seems a lot, but in the Netherlands a lot of bikes are stolen and broken up for parts.
When I'm working the bike is parked in front of the office, with the alarm on and the disc lock on the front wheel.
We have no weapons available in Holland, so there is no other protection in that direction. I have been thinking about booby traps, but as they form a certain risk for me (yes, I'm 53 and sometimes forget things), and booby traps are illegal over here I dropped the idea.
Of course there is insurance, but I just do not want some lazy f**k to steal what I've been working for.

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 2:21 pm
Enthusiast

At home it's in the garage and when out where I cant see it, I attach the Xena - good visual deterant for someone that may not want to deal with the racket of that alarm and the attention it creates.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:03 am
Enthusiast

I don't ride to work, and only rarely into 'the city', so security is not a daily issue for me.

When travelling on the bike, I put on the Xena disklock/alarm and use a bike cover to keep curious eyes at bay.

I keep a retractable ski lock cable handy to secure helmets, jackets and such when leaving the bike unattended for any length of time.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode