Quiet Helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quiet Helmet

Am on a search for a new helmet for long weekends and touring. Needs to be quiet when riding the K bikes and have good air flow. Currently own the Arai Corsair and love it. Fits fabulous, light and has good airflow. Only problem is it gets a bit noisy even with ear plugs in.
Am thinking of the Schuberth flipup. Have heard they are quiet. So, who is using one of the Schuberths OR what other helmets would you suggest I look at.
Thanks for the assist!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 6:26 pm

I have been using a Schubert C1 flip up for the past two years and 30K miles. It seemed fairly quite initially, but the older it gets and the more I open and close it, it doesn't seem as quiet. In fact now I think it downright noisy. They say the new C2 flip up from Schuberth is better. But the new S1 full face from Schubert is the best for low noise. It also has the sun shade. If you don't need a flip up go for the high priced S1.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Enthusiast

I have been wearing a Shoei X-11 for the past two years. It's very quiet (the quietest helmet I've ever experienced), very comfortable with good peripheral vision. Face shields are very easy to change out. No tools needed. Plus, it is probably one of the most vented helmets on the market. Vents in the chin bar, vents on the forehead, vents on top, and vents in the rear of the helmet. On those hot summer days you can actually feel the flow-through ventilation. Personally, I'm not completely sold on the safety aspects of the flip front helmets. I'm sure they're fine, it's just a personal thing, I guess. Nevertheless, the Shoei X-11 is worth a look-see. Oh yeah, Shoei has some really KOOL graphics on some of their X-11's.

Good luck with the hunt.

OkeefenokeeJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 8:36 pm
Rookie

Helmets

I have the Schuberth flip-up and the Shoei X-11 . The X-ll is moderately quieter and has much better ventilation. Is also lighter. The only thing I miss about the Schuberth is the flip down sun visor.I prefer the X-11 overall.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:36 pm

I have a Shoei X-11 and a HJC CL-14. The Shoei is worth the price. I installed a Sun Blocker on the face shield, it works like a visor although it's a simple dark green film.

Ron
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 3:50 am

Hi,

I use a Schubert Concept flip-up helmet. I like the helmet because I can ride with the helmet open in summer (when cruising less than 60mph), but it certainly is no longer a quit helmet. I've had it for three years now and I ride about 15k miles per year. It is the helmet of choice for the Dutch police, that is one of the main reasons I have one - they've tested it to destruction and their choice is good enough for me. Still: most good helmets (Arai, Shoei etc) that do not open are quieter.

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 7:28 am

Another vote for the X-11. Quiet, comfortable, removable liner, easy to change shields and about 1/3 off retail through Helmet Harbor. I paid a little over $400 delivered for mine (solid yellow).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:59 am
Enthusiast

Your Corsair is noisy because of the venting. I run with a Quantum which does not have as much venting so is quieter yet provides adaquate air flow. In general flips will be noisier then standard full face also heavier.

Pete
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 2:21 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Flip ups are just noisier

I have a Shuberth Concept, and I always liked it, but I thought it was noisey from the beginning. After dropping it a number of times (just stupid stuff, not crashes) and crushing the air dam that runs around the back, I got a Shoei Syncrotec. It's a little quieter, but not much. It fits much closer to my head and my chin, which I like. I think you just have to put up with more noise if you want the convenience of a flip up. For me, that means earplugs are pretty much a requirement for rides longer than fifteen minutes. I like the soft foam throw away variety.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:39 pm

I used to think quiet was my most important consideration in a helmet. Then I read the article in last months Rider on helmet noise and concluded there is almost no difference. To save you the trouble I'll post a summary: They tested 23 FF helmets on BMW K-bikes with in-helmet microphones to measure noise. I think they did it at 100 kph (62 mph). Every helmet was within 1 dB of 100 dB at the ear. So even with 20 dB earplugs you're only down to 80 dB. I'd like 75 dB so I ordered some custom fitted earplugs with speakers in them so I can listen to music (quietly). I ordered the Challengers from www.earplugco.com. I'll be posting what I think of them in the Ipod section when I get them.

I also put an aeroflow windscreen on and that reduced noise much more than any helmet ever could. So I'll be shopping for a new helmet soon with my most important features being comfort and safety.

Also, I saw a product on webbike world I'd like to try. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windj...nd-blocker.htm Anybody know where to find them in the US?

Cheers,
Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode